Wok'in it up for dinner!

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Still had more skinless, boneless thighs to use up, so decided that I'd get the wok into action again for the first time in a LONG time. This is also the first time I've fired a chimney since I got my pellet grill delivered in Oct of 2020!! :) Just like riding a bike!

All my ducks in a row.....

1646279674666.jpeg

My tried and true wok setup on the Mastertouch.....

1646279765167.jpeg

Getting some heat on the protein (wok was COOKIN' at 750F per my IR thermo).....

1646279730872.jpeg

Next up, veg, starting with the water chestnuts......

1646279793364.jpeg

Joined shortly by the rest of the veggie crew (onion, zucchini, bell pepper, mushrooms.....and bean sprouts not pictured)......

1646279842913.jpeg

Stir fried the veg for three minutes, dumped in my "stir fry sauce", then cooked covered for 2, uncovered for 1 to reduce, added chicken back in for two more uncovered. And, voila!

1646279903608.jpeg

And a not very pretty looking bowl (over rice) that was just a perfect meal to tuck into with my wife and daughter......

1646279960212.jpeg

One of the best parts? My cast iron wok cleaned up with nary more than a wipe or three. Why, oh why do I not do this more?!?!?

Have a nice night! :)

Rich

Love seeing you use charcoal there Rich. Great looking wok cook. Are you willing to share your chicken marinade and your "stir fry sauce"?

Still had more skinless, boneless thighs to use up, so decided that I'd get the wok into action again for the first time in a LONG time. This is also the first time I've fired a chimney since I got my pellet grill delivered in Oct of 2020!! :) Just like riding a bike!

All my ducks in a row.....

View attachment 46390

My tried and true wok setup on the Mastertouch.....

View attachment 46392

Getting some heat on the protein (wok was COOKIN' at 750F per my IR thermo).....

View attachment 46391

Next up, veg, starting with the water chestnuts......

View attachment 46393

Joined shortly by the rest of the veggie crew (onion, zucchini, bell pepper, mushrooms.....and bean sprouts not pictured)......

View attachment 46394

Stir fried the veg for three minutes, dumped in my "stir fry sauce", then cooked covered for 2, uncovered for 1 to reduce, added chicken back in for two more uncovered. And, voila!

View attachment 46396

And a not very pretty looking bowl (over rice) that was just a perfect meal to tuck into with my wife and daughter......

View attachment 46397

One of the best parts? My cast iron wok cleaned up with nary more than a wipe or three. Why, oh why do I not do this more?!?!?

Have a nice night! :)

Rich
Looks tasty.

Another best part is the splatter and grease fog stay outside.

Love seeing you use charcoal there Rich. Great looking wok cook. Are you willing to share your chicken marinade and your "stir fry sauce"?
Thanks, Michael. For the marinade, I just eyeball a bit of soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger and cornstarch (just a bit).

My stir fry sauce is:
1 part soy sauce
2 parts chicken stock
.5 part rice wine
sugar to taste
oyster sauce to taste
ginger to taste
garlic to taste
cornstarch to thicken while cooking

Misread the title and thought I saw "woke". Had me thinkin "uh oh, here we go" and was ready to grab my popcorn to watch the show unfold. Pleasantly surprised to see tasty eats instead.

You use a lodge wok correct? Looks great! I didn’t have luck with my Weber wok, almost impossible to clean.

You use a lodge wok correct? Looks great! I didn’t have luck with my Weber wok, almost impossible to clean.
Yep, Lodge wok. Heavy as sin, but great for delivering the heat once it's up to temp. Care/cleaning just like any other CI.

R

I can kick myself for getting rid of my Weber Wok. Had an original, new in the box, for years. Never even used it. I think I gave it away, back in the late 80's. Dammit!

I'm sort of curious abut this - We use our Weber wok all the time and have no issue cleaning it - just hot water and wipe it out... what would happen when you use it?

That's the wimpy Wok. ;)
I'm talking about the original Wok pan that fit the entire surface of the 22.5" kettle.
Yeah, I knew what you were talking about, but I'm guessing you'd have trouble finding one! :) Not sure I'd want my Lodge any bigger.....damn thing is heavy enough as it is! I think if I was in the market for a bigger one, I'd look for carbon steel.

Yeah, I knew what you were talking about, but I'm guessing you'd have trouble finding one! :) Not sure I'd want my Lodge any bigger.....damn thing is heavy enough as it is! I think if I was in the market for a bigger one, I'd look for carbon steel.
I'm just talking ****.
I rarely used it when I had one, and I have no room to store it, unless I get rid of the roti, and that ain't happenin'

Right you are! I detest cleaning the stovetop after the wok (and many other splatter prone things!) :)

R
I actually do the old canoe boundary waters trick. Presoap the stove and the grease will not stick. Well just run soapy water sponge over the stovetop and such. Works.
We wok several times a day. Even with the fans on the other rooms smell of grease. Nice to do it outside.

Your dish and recipe looks great!
My only hint is add sesame oil near end cause it burns so easily.

Last edited:

Back