WMS Owner's, Brisket and More

Karl K.

TVWBB Fan
I picked up a 12 lb brisket the other day and plan on smoking it when we go camping. I'm curious how you guys fit one of these on your WSM without cutting it? I did a 11 lb'er a couple of weeks ago and wound up cutting it in two because I couldn't get it to fit.

Do you roll them up and put'em on their side? Or do you allow the meat to touch the sides until its shrunk a bit?

Lastly, how do you guys transport your WSMs? I've heard of trash cans but that would work really only for a pick-up truck. I've got an SUV but wasn't sure what would be the best way to do it.

Karl

Protect the ends with a little foil, "shoehorn" it between the upper grate handles until it shrinks a bit during the cook, and then remove the foil.

Recent thread on transporting the WSM.

Check under the "cooking" section of the main site and you'll see an article Chris has included on brisket preperation. He talks a little about "horeshoeing" between the grate handles and also folding a portion of the flat under.

What kind of SUV do you have?

I drive a Grand Cherokee, and have no prolbem with transportation.
I keep the meat in a cooler, and disassemble and reassmeble the grills ro smokers I use when I arrive at my destination.

Wow, 3 great responses already. Many thanks. I'll try the foil and shoehorn idea. Hadn't thought of that...

James, I've got a Toyota Highlander so there's probably ample enough room, just not sure best on how to do it. I'll check out that link.

Karl,
I've cooked a couple of 15 lb'ers on mine. I just tuck, or shove/force, it in under the dome. As it cooks, it will shrink-to-fit.
icon_smile.gif

I never worry about the overhang. People will fight over the "burnt ends".

Don't cut it in half!

Ive never foiled, just slap it on there fat side down and let her go. Never had a problem with burt ends...unfortunately...

When I transported my WSM in my wife's car, I used lawn trash bags. I nested things as best I could in the bags. The bags kept everything clean, including the trunk carpet. It all fit OK.

I never had much troubl just kind of pushing the ends of the brisket in a bit to make it fit, but you can also fold the flat over. This should make the flat about the same thickness as the point.

Also, you can just cut the flat from the point nad cook them both separately.

Back