Wish Me Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Dang

TVWBB Super Fan
It doesn't have the OTG ash catcher. Is that easy to add in? I have this picture, I'm about to go see it in a few minutes. Said there is no rust. It's a deal for $45? Haven't seen this color much around here. Still searching for a red head though.
903846411_Gnsqc-XL.jpg

Picked it up. The bowl is in perfect condition physically.

The lid, looks a bit dull, I believe he/they tried to wash it with something, so you see residue. Any ideas of what I can use that'll be safe but also buff it up purdy good shiny and all?

Also, can I just buy this ash catcher and add it to Kettle pretty easy, or is some major mod needed?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Weber-Perf...&hash=item5ada4ed916

It should just slide right onto the leg receptacles. Those tabs should just lock into the spaces.

Look at your grill first.

Oh yeah, congrats. I just bought a black kettle like that. Does yours have two handles on the bowl?

Yup I got it. Will take pictures in a little bit with a real camera.

Terre, thanks for that, I'll buy it and see what happens. It does have two handles on either side. I should restain/protect those wood handles yeah?

Any ideas on how to clean it? I want to spiff it up.

i buff mine by using a brillo pad to clean and then dry buff them with 000 or 0000 steel woool. as to the handles, sand them and then treat them with mineral oil.

Joe, on a kettle of that vintage, I suspect that you will find that there are no spaces in the leg sockets into which you can insert the tabs for the current ash-catcher assembly. If you are bound and determined to have an OTG ash-catcher, I think that you will have to resort to cutting into your antique with a Dremel tool.

As for shining up the lid (and even the bowl, for that matter), I have had great luck with Whink Glass/Ceramic Cooktop Cleaner.

Finally, that's a very nice specimen of a vintage cultural icon in an unusual (and hard to find) rich color. If it were me, I would be content with the saucer-style ashpan, rather than cutting into the thing.

Kevin, you may be right. I'll have to take a look at lunch. I definitely do not want to cut into it. I'd just love for it to have the ash catcher somehow. Hmmm.

Thanks for the tip!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Dang:
I should restain/protect those wood handles yeah? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>sand the handles and use mineral oil, two coats at least. They'll look new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back