Wisconsin > Whitewater: Casual Joe's

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
A couple of weeks ago I was meeting some friends for lunch in Burlington, WI and my route took me through Whitewater, so I thought I'd check out the body-shop-turned-restaurant known as Casual Joe's

CasualJoesWhitewaterWI20160820_1.jpg

Joe's is located on the eastern edge of a residential area but as the winds around here are more likely to be westerly the neighbors probably don't mind too much. Or maybe they do.
CasualJoesWhitewaterWI20160820_2.jpg

When the concept for Joe's was being worked out the owner and an associate took a 17-day barbecue-themed road trip for ideas, and their route is shown in the map on the wall.

CasualJoesWhitewaterWI20160820_3.jpg

Even though I had lunch plans I broke down and ordered the 3-meat plate with pulled pork, brisket, and Joe's unique jalapeno-cheese sausage with mac & cheese and cornbread as my sides. The pork comes Carolina-style with a little vinegar for flavor, but I would've liked a little more smoke. The brisket was a nice mix of fat and lean and had a good beefy, lightly smoky taste, and the sausage was moist with cheese and had a definite kick from the jalapenos. The mac & cheese had broken a little bit but still tasted good, and the crumbly cornbread was perfect as a carrier for butter.

CasualJoesWhitewaterWI20160820_4.jpg

The sauces are homemade and while I didn't use any on my barbecue I did give them a try. The sweet was what I usually expect from a red sauce, the spicy had a different flavor thanks to sriracha, and the stout (my favorite) had an earthier, less sweet flavor.

CasualJoesWhitewaterWI20160820_5.jpg

Even though Whitewater isn't all that big in terms of permanent residents (~15,000) it has some decent places to eat, and Casual Joe's fits right in.

Back