Wisconsin > Mukwonago: David Alan Alan's Smokehouse

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
David Alan Alan's Smokehouse & Saloon
325 Bay View Rd
Mukwonago, WI 53149
262-363-3227
https://www.daasmokehouse.com/

I'm surprised I hadn't mentioned David Alan Alan's until now, but I met some friends there for lunch back in 2018:

DavidAlanAlansMukwonagoWI20181103_2.jpg

DavidAlanAlansMukwonagoWI20181103_3.jpg

DavidAlanAlansMukwonagoWI20181103_4.jpg

It was pretty solid barbecue, although they don't offer ribs until after 5pm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn’t impressed, but I wasn’t offended either. It was fine. Now LDs in East Troy impresses me.

My dad likes this place but I've never been impressed. They're doing a lot more than traditional BBQ including pizzas and a bunch of different BBQ-centric appetizers. I'd say it's a step above national chain BBQ places but not much better than that.

My dad likes this place but I've never been impressed. They're doing a lot more than traditional BBQ including pizzas and a bunch of different BBQ-centric appetizers. I'd say it's a step above national chain BBQ places but not much better than that.
I'm following up my own review with another. I was in the area for a dog training class (which are absolutely necessary when my puppy is already 88-lbs. and can put his paws up on my shoulders, I'm 6'-1").

I got a pound of brisket and a pound of corned beef (I guess also brisket). Carolina sauce on the side, which was the best part of the meal. Brisket was undercooked, failed knife test and pull apart test, but not terribly moist. Did not have a prominent beef taste or smoke taste. Rather blah. Corned beef had better beef taste than the brisket but not much on that signature corned beef taste that you get at a good deli. It was also Jerky tough and not moist.

Overall, a massive disappointment and I would now rate it lower than national chains. I've never had tough, flavorless brisket from Dickeys or Famous Daves. That said, the brisket and corned beef were $16/pound each. The place a few exits north, LDs (which has only been excellent or above when I've there), was $26/pound for Brisket last time I was there. Still a waste of money at $16/pound. I'll probably put the leftovers in chili or maybe reconstitute for breakfast burritos.

Last edited:
Mukwanago also has a good flea market called Maxwell Street Days 3 or 4 times a year.

Corned beef had better beef taste than the brisket but not much on that signature corned beef taste that you get at a good deli. It was also Jerky tough and not moist.
I was there in early October with some friends and our conclusion was that the corned beef is possibly sliced and then held instead of being held and then sliced to order.

We thought the ribs and sides were pretty good, although the bacon-cheese hushpuppies could've used more of both.

DavidAlanAlansMukwonagoWI20211004_1.jpg

DavidAlanAlansMukwonagoWI20211004_2.jpg

DavidAlanAlansMukwonagoWI20211004_3.jpg

DavidAlanAlansMukwonagoWI20211004_4.jpg

DavidAlanAlansMukwonagoWI20211004_5.jpg

DavidAlanAlansMukwonagoWI20211004_6.jpg

Back