Wireless meat thermometers - best buy recommendation

John R.

OK, I've seen lots of discussion, but what's the consensus on the best all around wireless meat thermometer that's readily available? This will be my first one, so want to do it right the first time. I'll usually be within 100 feet of the WSM at all time since it's just outside on my patio.

I have 3 remotes.

Maverick et73 dual probe. Nice, but it's range is maybe 20-30 ft (supposed to be 100 ft....someone had posted a mod thread last summer about increasing its range, but I haven't).

Weber. Very accurate, better range than maverick, but formatted really bad (has meat temp guides, and an alarm that responds to them....very annoying).

Taylor (el cheapo). Again very accurate, but again with limited range (20 ft).

I know many others use the Nu-Temp, and I may at some point switch to that as well since each of my current probes are flawed.

I have had 2 ET-73 for years and have never had a problem of any kind with mine. The cookers are on the back deck and I can be in the front yard and range isn't an issue.

Craig try to contact Maverick and see if you can get a replacement if you can only go 20-30 ft.

I too like the Maverick ET-73. Range is poor. I've done the mod and got a few more feet out of it. No where near 100 feet.

Heard the customer service is poor, so I didn't bother, plus I don't need the range.

Don't get me wrong, its a great theremo for the price. There are nicer ones for twice the price. There was a forum special which I think has expired being I couldn't find the thread.

Nu-Temp 701 rocks! Very accurate. Up to 3 probes/transmitters with one receiver in the house. High and/or low alarms. Is's the best I've ever owned.

Maverick ET-73 is my second choice. It's definitely geared toward our passion with separate "smoker" and "food" displays. It has some downsides though. Range is one, as discussed earlier. To me, the transmitter and receiver just don't communicate very well. I've had the units sitting less than 10 feet from each other on the deck, and still lose communication. When that happens, you have to turn both off, turn on the receiver, then turn on the transmitter. Kind of a PITA!

I've had both Taylor and Poulder in the past, and wouldn't give a plug nickle for them.

WARNING: What ever you buy, don't let the cables get even the slightest hint of moisture on them. It will wick down to the probe and short it out.

Hope this helps,

JimT

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimT:

WARNING: What ever you buy, don't let the cables get even the slightest hint of moisture on them. It will wick down to the probe and short it out.

JimT </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which unit are you refering to?

I've had the Maverick ET-73 for 2 years an haven't had a problem till recently. I fried my probe wires. I currently have new probes on order.

I just bought the Nu Temp unit. I haven't used it yet but will soon.

NU-701 for me. Been using them for 3 years now without any problems.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimT:

JimT </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which unit are you refering to? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any brand, Jon. Any of the manuals I've read caution about washing, and with good reason. I've lost several in the past, which I attribute to getting wet. Since I started cleaning them very carefully, I haven't lost a single one.

JimT

Another vote for the Nu-Temp 701. Very accurate and great range from sensor to receiver.

Prior to the 701's I used Taylor digital probes and never had a problem with them. Good unit for $16.
Just have to be careful about liquid getting into the probe from the cable and not to place the probe in high temp environment (over 390).

I've been using my maverick et-73 for about 2 years now without any problems. I don't push the range envelope, so I haven't experienced any problems at all with it in that regard. Plus, I'm still on the same set of batteries that I started with. Got to have at least 40 smokes on it - half of them overnighters...

I'd love to have a nu-temp as well. But, now that I have a thermopen for spot checks, I really don't need another (or so my wife says!)

- Adam

I'm still a strong supporter of the Maverick ET-73.
3 years and counting without replacing anything (batteries or probes). Apparently 3 years ago they were making the good ones with the lengthy range
icon_wink.gif

I take mine inside my neighbors house which is at least 80 - 100 feet away! I feel bad for those that got the "crappy batch". I really wonder what they changed.

Back