wired connection issue

Danny C

Hey guys, Just got my heatermeter v4.2.4 rPiB w/ thermocouple soldered and assembled and am pretty excited. I printed the case from a clear acrylic here at work.

Last night I tried to plug it into the router to go through the configuration steps but that heatermeter.com/devices link was unable to pick up the heatermeter. The router is an Asus RT-AC87u. I do not have my edimax wifi dongle yet (saturday), but figured I should at least be able to configure the HM. I set a static IP on my laptop and enabled internet sharing and then was able to connect direct from the laptop to the HM through the rPi ethernet port. I know this actually worked too because the IP address showed up on the HM screen vs the router which did not.

At any rate, should I be looking for some security feature on the router that is not allowing me to connect to the HM, or do I need to do some Mac address/ IP/ Port wizardry to make it come full circle?

Thank you! (I'm not very IT inclined)
Danny

Does your router have DHCP enabled? And is the HM wired interface set to DHCP? Or you could also manually set the wired interface IP/subnet etc to match that of your wired lan (via direct connect from laptop) and then connect to the router... I don't think security should be an issue when using a wired lan, that's more of a WIFI thing, unless you've got things locked down more than most on your router.

Does your router have DHCP enabled? And is the HM wired interface set to DHCP? Or you could also manually set the wired interface IP/subnet etc to match that of your wired lan (via direct connect from laptop) and then connect to the router... I don't think security should be an issue when using a wired lan, that's more of a WIFI thing, unless you've got things locked down more than most on your router.

I'm pretty sure the router has DHCP enabled and the HM/rPi would be on standard settings (I assume set the DHCP). How would I check if the rPi/HM is set to DHCP? I can research how to change the HM's IP/subnet to match my router's.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check on that stuff when I get home from work.

Connect via laptop, log into the HM config, then go to Network Tab, then INTERFACES tab you will see all the connection setups. Click EDIT next to the network interface for the wired LAN and there you will see the settings for DHCP, Static IP etc.... It should work set to DHCP if your router has DHCP server enabled and is passing out IP's.... but if not, you can set a static IP and proper subnet and gateway etc for your router and that might get you connected....

Weird. I ran CAT5 out to my Green Egg and use my Heatermeter via a wired connection vs wifi like most others seem to. I had no issues setting mine up. I plugged it in, booted it, and it grabbed an IP from my DHCP server on my network. I configured my DHCP server to assign the rPi's MAC address the same IP address every time, so that I can set up port forwarding easily.

Yeah the ethernet runs BOTH static and DHCP at the same time, if you haven't mucked with its settings at all. Wired should just be able to plug into the network and go from a default configuration and you'll see the DHCP address on the display. I can't think of any reason why this wouldn't work because it shouldn't require any configuration at all.

Hey guys, so I didn't have too much time to play with it last night but I clicked around in the Network settings tab and assigned a static IP but reverted back to DHCP. This morning I plugged the HM into the router and it worked! I also noticed my fan speed was able to go higher than before... Anyway, I think I can get the rest to go with all the tutorials with the DHCP reservation for the HM and port forwarding.

Thank you for your support!

Back