Wingz Two Ways

Dan C. FL

TVWBB Pro
I had hoped to settle on one method to cook all the wings. That’s hard to do when you have a smoker, a kettle and a vortex. So, I chose to smoke some on the 14” WSM and some using the Vortex in the kettle. Here’s the smoker doing work.

6FC27813-0774-4BC8-B485-F0B5EFE525E3.jpeg

Here they are right before I pulled them.
011C2B0F-B2FD-4760-833A-7D6E57962006.jpeg

Side by side comparison of the WSM wings vs. Kettle and Vortex.
765E5864-E9BB-4D66-95FD-775BAAE0B78D.jpeg

The left is the smoker and the right is the Vortex.

As you’d expect, the WSM wings were smokier but the skin wasn’t as crispy. I didn’t crisp them over the coals because they were already more done than I planned. Whoops. The Vortex wings were perfect as far as juiciness and crispness. However, they weren’t nearly as smoky. So, two great sets of wings each for entirely different purposes. Here’s a final sauces up pic. The left is my wife’s family secret bbq sauce. It’s GREAT with chicken. The right is Frank’s. AB123979-26F4-4470-8ECC-0D5EAAC89B19.jpeg

Last two photos rotated on me. The wings in the Pyrex dish have the WSM on the bottom and Vortex on the top. The last pic has Franks on top and BBQ sauce on bottom.

As long as you put them on a plate in front of me, I'd belly up to both of those with no hesitation! They look great, Dan! I still have never smoked a wing, but am planning on a smoke then fry recipe for the next neighborhood wing off.....

R

If you don't want to mess with the fryer, I smoke my wings at 235 for an hour and then put them in the oven at 425 until the skin gets crispy. Smoked, crispy skin, no oil to mess with.

As long as you put them on a plate in front of me, I'd belly up to both of those with no hesitation! They look great, Dan! I still have never smoked a wing, but am planning on a smoke then fry recipe for the next neighborhood wing off.....

R

I think if I were going to do wings for a party, that’s exactly what I’d do. The smoke flavor is way better in the WSM.

Looks tasty! I do high temp smoke in the 14.5" doesn't get as crispy as using the vortex, but better than low and slow. You still get plenty of smoke flavor in my opinion.

Looks tasty! I do high temp smoke in the 14.5" doesn't get as crispy as using the vortex, but better than low and slow. You still get plenty of smoke flavor in my opinion.
I basically started it minion style, put the wings on and let it go with the vents wide open. About 45 minutes in, I was running 280-300. Another 30 minutes later and I was about 325. When I pulled the lid to check them and the closed it, it shot up over 400. That little sucker will get HOT! Might try letting it come up more before I throw the wings on sometime. The skin was ok while hot. Once they cooled they became more chewy. They were totally fine though.

I did wings for the first time ever in the kettle on the 4th of July. I loved them. I want to try them in the WSM 14 at some point.
I have never had such a strong urge to recreate a cook the next day like I did yesterday. I wanted to make more wings now something bad. I will be doing more in a few days.
I will do the kettle again this time, but I will try the WSM at some point.

One thing that really helps with all poultry, if you have the time is to air dry the skin. Mix 2 tablespoons of kosher salt with 1 teaspoon of baking powder (not soda). This mixture is enough to do a whole 3-4 pound chicken.

For wings throw them in a 2 gallon ziplock (we use 2 gallon reusuable EcoDoor silicone bags) add salt mixture ans shake to coat. Place wings on a drying rack over a sheet pan and place in the fridge uncovered for 8-24 hours. Season then onto the grill or hot smoker. I typically start my wings when the WSM is at 325°f-350°f and leave all vents open and let it roll.

Back