Wings

A.D.Letson

TVWBB Fan
Not exactly barbecue but couldn't find right category. How long after bringing wings out of oil does everyone sauce?

After deep frying, I let drain (shaking the basket often) for about a minute or so then right into the room temperature or slightly warmed sauce (never cold) to coat. Serve immediately with celery, chunky blue cheese dresing and an ice cold beer.
icon_biggrin.gif

A.D. I usually have some newspaper laying out, add a few paper towels on top and let the wings sit on the paper towels for a minute or so (make sure you toss the wings around to suck up any residual oil). Afterwards, I'll have several large bowls containing sauces, throw the wings in and toss. Throw them on a platter with some celery and carrot sticks and your favorite dressing (ranch, blue cheese, etc).

AD, I make my own bbq sauce and as it goes for hot sauce, I add 3 parts of Franks hot sauce to 1 part of margerine (butter is way too strong for this) and some red pepper flakes. From what I've read, this is the original recipe for the hot sauce used at the Anchor bar in Buffalo, NY.

Erik

A.D.,
I have always use Texas Pete's, I really like the flavor with wings. Texas Pete's, butter, garlic powder, yum... If it is too hot and you want to tone it down add some brown sugar.

I use Anchor Bar’s wing sauce often since it’s convenient and pretty good but I do still chase that elusive taste from the good-ole-days.. There are several posts in the Poultry Forum by the way.

The recipe for Buffalo Wings on the back of the "Frank’s® RedHot Original" bottle I have says:

Buffalo Chicken Wings

2 ½ lbs. Chicken wing pieces.
½ cup Frank’s® RedHot Sauce.
? cup melted butter or margarine.

1. Bake wings 1 hour at 425ºF or deep-fry 12 minutes at 400ºF.

2. Combine RedHot® Sauce and butter.

3. Dip wings in sauce to coat.

Here’s a link to some history containing 4 probable origins of the Buffalo Wing Recipe.

Texas Pete's is indeed good.
I'd encourage people to develop their own wing sauce. I make it up in quarts and keep it in the fridge since I make wings at least once every two weeks.

Mine has a base of Franks (or TP), some Reverend Marvins Hot BBQ sauce, a couple spoons of brown sugar, some Maple syrup, and to kick it... some of the following hot sauces: Cholula, Screaming Hornets, 100% pain, & Dave's Temporary Insanity sauce.

Oh yeah...
mouthonfire.gif

Back