Wings Tomorrow WSM

ChristopherC

TVWBB Super Fan
Gonna do about 4-5 lbs of chicken wings on the Weber Smokey Mountain 18 tomorrow. Here is my plan and want to know thoughts...

1. 2-3 Apple wood chunks. 1 unlit chimney coals. 1 lit chimney coals.
  2. Let get to about 250-275 and adjust vents as necessary to hold there.
  3. Put on chicken wings on both racks (no water pan) rubbed with coarse Himalayan salt, coarse pepper, granulated garlic, Clubhouse Smokey Applewood.
  4. Let cook 45min to 1hr.
  5. Flip, spritz and open vents up full hoping temps get to 325-350 and let sit for 10-15mins. Spritz and turn again and let cook for another 10 mins.
Taste and maybe toss in a sauce or 2.

Thoughts?

I find there’s really no need to flip when smoking wings. I like your idea for higher heat the last hour! If you’re feeling daring you could put your grate over coals last 5-10 minutes and crisp in batches. Post pics and enjoy!

Cheers,
Kyle

Ya I figured there was no need to flip.

Was also thinking of removing the center and putting the wings over the coals on the bottom. Problem is we get gusts of wind occasionally and I am worried about ruining the wings with charcoal ash. Don’t want to do that when I have a gas grill right next to the smoker. But I think the higher heat might be enough to crisp. We shall see. If not one press of the button on the propane Summit.

I find there’s really no need to flip when smoking wings. I like your idea for higher heat the last hour! If you’re feeling daring you could put your grate over coals last 5-10 minutes and crisp in batches. Post pics and enjoy!

Cheers,
Kyle

Nice! I haven't been able to find wings here in SW Florida for months now :confused: Got a vortex the other week and have heard great things about what it does to wings. The smoked wings sound delicious too!

Wow really? No wings in Florida?

Up here in Canada they have been on sale quite a bit lately. Just stocked up!

I think your plan sounds great, just don't kill yourself over the temps. I agree with the idea of not using the water pan for chicken wings, but I can't keep mine below 300 when I go no water pan, which is what I always do with chicken on the WSM. Don't kill yourself for super crisp skin, sometime I get nail that and other times not, but they always taste good. Serve some un-sauced and others sauced and try to figure out which the family likes best. My family is spilt, with me eating way to many of both. Last night I finished off the dry and my son was like dad I was going to eat more, oh sorry son.

Ha that’s awesome Michael!

Ya I will see. It will be my first test of my probes as well. Got the Thermopro 20 (2 probes). Will monitor top and bottom grate for the cook.

Decided to hold off on the pork belly burnt ends until mid week. Have about 50-60 wings which should be enough with some veggies and dip.

I might play around with sauces. Wife loves Frank’s Stingin Honey Garlic. I love everything. Mango Habanero is my favorite...just hurts me with the heat as I get older, can’t tolerate as much.

I like them unsauced too or with just some Tex mex dry seasoning.

Should be fun and I will report back with pics and a report.

I think your plan sounds great, just don't kill yourself over the temps. I agree with the idea of not using the water pan for chicken wings, but I can't keep mine below 300 when I go no water pan, which is what I always do with chicken on the WSM. Don't kill yourself for super crisp skin, sometime I get nail that and other times not, but they always taste good. Serve some un-sauced and others sauced and try to figure out which the family likes best. My family is spilt, with me eating way to many of both. Last night I finished off the dry and my son was like dad I was going to eat more, oh sorry son.

A full chimney of lit may be too much to keep the temps that low. I would start with less than that.
Andy,
Good thought there, I would agree with starting with less then a full chimney of lit. But if temps run higher just modify the cook times, the wings can take higher heat, just won't take as long to cook.

Ha that’s awesome Michael!

Ya I will see. It will be my first test of my probes as well. Got the Thermopro 20 (2 probes). Will monitor top and bottom grate for the cook.

Decided to hold off on the pork belly burnt ends until mid week. Have about 50-60 wings which should be enough with some veggies and dip.

I might play around with sauces. Wife loves Frank’s Stingin Honey Garlic. I love everything. Mango Habanero is my favorite...just hurts me with the heat as I get older, can’t tolerate as much.

I like them unsauced too or with just some Tex mex dry seasoning.

Should be fun and I will report back with pics and a report.
I have a thermopro TP08S and love it. One post I read about wings on the WSM said he puts the drum sticks on the bottom grate and the flats on the top as the bottom runs hotter.

Thanks Andy, ya you are right. Based on breaking it in yesterday...I might do 3/4 unlit and 1/2 lit. If I have to add a few later to crisp up I can or use the gasser.

A full chimney of lit may be too much to keep the temps that low. I would start with less than that.

Chris -- I'm winging it tomorrow as well on my WSM 18. A 16 pound batch, which means five grates going at the same time. Here's my plan:

Sweet rub on the wings.
Chimney with 15 briquettes plus 1-2 chunks.
Soo donut start with small-medium wood chunks (since the cook time is shorter).
Start with all vents full open to get going.
Then smoke at 250-ish (one bottom vent open and two closed usually).
Peach wood chunks.
FireDial diffuser plate (similar to a dry pan).
Drumettes closer to the fire, flats on a cooler rack.
Smoke for 1.5 hours or so.
I do not flip while smoking.
Remove mid-section and crisp with grate down on the ring. That's the time to flip flip flip.
No sauce while cooking.
Toss with sauce after cooking.

We usually do 3 or 4 sauces -- always Bama white sauce and garlic/parmesan. Tomorrow may be also Jamaican jerk and SC Gold sauce.

Ok, so did my wings today and have lots of remarks....

Here is how I did them:

1) Seasoned wings with black pepper, salt, granulated garlic, applewood smoke seasoning and some canola-olive oil.
2) Placed seasoned wings in fridge for a couple hours.
3) Set up WSM with 3/4 chimney coals, 2 pieces apple wood chunks (1 small, 1 large), 1/2 chimney lit coals. No water pan.
4) Set up probes on bottom and top grates.
5) Waited approx 20 mins til temps stabilized (more about that later). Top vent open, 2 bottom vents closed, 1 open 1/2 way.
6) Placed wings on grates (flats on bottom grate, drums on top grate).
7) Let wings cook for 1.5 hours at between 245 and 280. Temps started around 275 for first hour and eventually fell to around 250 for last half hour.
8) Took of top and middle sections and put top grate directly on coals in bottom section for about 5 minutes to crisp.
9) Repeated with bottom grate.
10) Sauced 2/3 of the wings, with 1/3 Frank's Stingin Honey Garlic, 1/3 Bullseye Chicken and Rib. Left 1/3 plain.

Results

• The flavor of the skin was outstanding. Very smokey but delicious. Inside was as expected from any wing that is cooked well. A bit of a reddish smoke ring under the skin.
  • Actually preferred the plain wings more than the sauced wings...disappointed I sauced 2/3 before I tasted how good the plain ones were.
  • Some of the wings got some crispy skin, some didn't, others burned a bit as those damn coals are super hot....next time I would probably thrown them on the grill where the distance from the heat is a bit further...guess I need a charcoal grill now as I love the flavor the smoke from both the wood and the charcoal gives!
  • The wife liked the smokey flavor too, so she isn't overly sensitive to smokiness.

Observations and Other Tidbits

So lots of things to say, that I expected and didn't expect...so here goes in no particular order....

• I am not sure if I should have put the flats on the bottom and drums on top like I did or vice versa.... When I put the flats on to start, the probe on the bottom grate read 450! Then put the top grate on and placed the drums on and the probe read around 290. Once I closed the lid, the temps slowly made their way to about 280ish....although it took a while so the poor flats were getting some pretty high heat for the first 15 minutes. Eventually the 2 temps settled in around 275 for almost an hour. Eventually, the temp differences reversed and the top grate was the hotter for the last 45 minutes and sat at around 260-265 while the bottom grate probe read 240-250. So there is about a 15-25 degree difference after time with the upper grate being hotter. This was all done with NO WATER PAN AT ALL IN THE WSM.
  • The thermometer built into the lid of the WSM is pretty much useless. It read about 200-210 the entire cook. Should I be calling Weber about this? I guess it will be best to replace it with a 3rd party one eventually and dial it in to approx temp of top grate?
  • I can't believe how much a smidgen of movement in the open vent changed the temp. I opened it up a bit at one point when the temps fell to 240-250 and the temps rose to 270 after just a minute or 2.
  • I got smoked quite a bit putting the wings on the bottom grate to start. Not sure I loved that.
  • The WSM 18 is very low. I felt like I was reaching down a lot. Also to put the grates on the bottom section right over the coals and work with the wings was hard on my back. Might need to make a platform for it.
  • I would love handles on the middle section.
  • I didn't bother to spritz. It was my first cook with the WSM and was a bit nervous to "play around too much".
  • Putting the wings on the grate right on the coals at the bottom section in the end was probably a mistake. I burnt a bunch pretty good. Man is it hot down there! The wings got burnt in like 20-30 seconds.
  • When I do wings again, I will probably run the WSM a bit hotter (about 300) and get the wings done quicker and just let them crisp up naturally....instead of dealing with the grates on the bottom section. I am sure chicken will turn out good at higher temps and that will be easy with the WSM and the vents. But this is all about experimentation right?
  • Next time I do chicken I will probably just use 1 large chunk of wood or 2 small chunks. The 1 large/1small combo definitely imparted a strong smoke flavor...which myself and the wife loved, but I am sure there are some who wouldn't want that lingering smoke flavor in the roof of their mouth for a while after....
  • It poured rain for like 5 minutes and the WSM didn't flinch.
  • Quite a bit of coal left at the end...all white, but still in full form. Are these good for next cook?
  • Wonder if I should have bothered to sauce the wings and return them to the grill or not?
  • Probably could have used even less lit coal to start.
  • Not sure if I should have had flats and drums reversed? But they all seemed the same in the end anyways...so probably no difference.

Overall, the WSM performed well, so I can't complain at all about the results and the performance. The built-in thermometer is a bit useless. I wish I had handles on the middle section. I wish the overall whole smoker was a bit taller / higher up. The side door didn't seem to let out any smoke at all which I was surprised at because it was all warped and I straightened it the best I could but not all of it was flush. Some smoke came out the bottom of the top lid, but that should seal up with time I hope. My probes worked well and working distance from the 2 components was great....nice to be able to monitor temps while watching golf in the bedroom.

Overall, I can't complain about the wings either. The smokiness of the skin was superb. The chicken was delicious. Any complaints I have are due to human error - burning some on the grate right on the coals and saucing too many of them as I preferred the plain wings and the flavor of the rub and the smoke.

The weather has cleared up for tomorrow (it was supposed to rain)...now hot and clear all day...so I will probably smoke some ribs or the pork belly burnt ends. Yay!

See pics below!

coals-plus-apple-wood.jpg

coal-chimney.jpg

seasoned-wings.jpg

wsm-lit-coals.jpg

wsm-wings-bottom-grate.jpg

wsm-wings-on-coals.jpg

wsm-smoking.jpg

thermo-pro-ts20.jpg

thermo-pro-ts20-b.jpg

I would love handles on the middle section.

Here are your handles. They will fit (vertically) right into the existing holes of the mid-section. So installation will take you less than 5 minutes.

If you want the handles horizontal, you'd need to drill one new hole per handle.

Hey Jim...thanks! Do you have a pic of them on your WSM?

Here are your handles. They will fit (vertically) right into the existing holes of the mid-section. So installation will take you less than 5 minutes.

If you want the handles horizontal, you'd need to drill one new hole per handle.

Can't seem to find those exact handles in Canada....

Might have to go with horizontal eventually and drill....

Back