Windows Or Linux?

now that it's upgraded, you can do a fully clean win10 install instead of upgrade-install (I did this the wrong way a few times).

Yes, I did a clean install and I saved the iso and mediacreationtool. Well, I did it with my Son's direction - I'm a computer user and I can buy hardware and build a desktop but I'm too old to retain information that I don't regularly use, and I am beyond the stage of wanting to tinker with the Win OS and associated tasks, lol. For example, had not heard of Belarc Advisor. I can barely keep up with my home grown WS2012R2E server, and would not be able to do it if I hadn't written detailed notes.

Lots of hate for Win 10 and I don't understand it. I have upgraded 3 different puters from Win 7 and all 3 went smoothly, no driver issues (save for my Asus) which had a couple little issues with the finger print sensor and the bluetooth. But now all is well and working fine. I really like Win 10. See no reason for not running it. My friend who does IT for GM though has a few issues with it in server duty, but I am a simple day on day out user and love it. I also noticed no "bogging" down compared to 7. If anything faster and in some cases MUCH faster even down to an old dual core centrino laptop with only 4gig ram

Chris, you know as well as I do that they're built as cheaply as possible. And software? I really don't need to get that wound up this morning. Although, something that tech-savvy folks can do is to wipe out the vendor installed image and start with just the base operating system and specific drivers.

I was ears deep in HP-UX since about 1992.... and a host upgrade (geez, probably 4 or 5 years ago now,) where I found out that major selling points of the edition hadn't been tested together and broke each other really soured me on that environment. And HP just did not consider it a problem. Initially I was told it would take a full platform update to fix. No way, no how. Then I ended up on a conference call with HP's development staff in Bangalore where they wanted me to install patches that hadn't even gone GA yet. No four letter words, but people in the office still remember that phone call. HP-UX is dead, it's just too stupid to realize it. Yes, I realize it's now HPEnterprise (owned by Microfocus,) and not HP. Bill Hewlett and David Packard must be just spinning in their graves.

Not really PC related but I used to work in a fairly large production machine shop, in the department with the CNC machines we had a saying.

To err is human, to really screw things up use a computer.

I still have 7 on my main machine, picked up a cheap laptop at Walmart just to learn 10 before committing myself. The machine with 10 on it does seem to have significantly more bloatware than the one with 7 did.

The bloat ware in all likelihood is not due to Win 10 but the machine manufacturer themselves. Straight Win 10 is not all bloated

I've been using Win 10 since it came out. Notl perfect but gets the job done. My 52 yr. old son did some development with Linux and uses it. However, knowing his parents and how we use computers he doubted that we would be happy with the transition to Linux and the change in some of our software. He recommended that we stay with Windows.

Your call Rusty.

Anyone here know anything about Android? I have a Samsung S8 and it's giving me fits with erratic battery life. I can be doing nothing with the phone and it will get hot and battery will plummet for no reason. I have gone into the maintenance settings and killed off every app I can not needed, am sure everything is shut down even going so far as to restart the phone still the issue persists. Yesterday even while sitting on the charger battery life continues to go down yet it showed it was charging. I am about ready to abandon the S8 and get an Android One phone (either Nokia 6.1 or a 7.1) as I think the Samsung's issue is all the trash apps installed by Samsung (like Bixby and such) and AT&T that just clog up the OS. I bought my wife a Nokia 6.1 and it's so refreshing to not have all the crap apps. But would love to have someone who knows chime in and see if I can salvage my relationship with the S8

It updated to Android Pie (9) which from all my research is supposedly better at power handling than 8 or 8.1 was. It was like this on the first version of Android as well though

There is a way to reset the battery by fully charging it and letting it drain about three times. Supposedly if you charge your battery and let it drain until your phone shuts off then fully charged and let it drain until your phone shuts off, a few times it will reset. That's one option. Others include resetting the phone up to and including a factory reset. That way if there was any kind of update or app that was interfering it would be wiped and set back to factory when it worked as good as it did the day you bought it.

If you decide to go that route then like I said previously in this thread, make sure you back up anything that is important to you. After you do a factory reset on your phone it will be wiped clean just like when you unboxed it.

I mention the factory reset because you already said you've gone through your apps and shut them down. However if there is an app that is having conflict it could still be a problem even when turned off.

Yeah that seems to always be the pat answer from my previous phone for issues LG previously now Samsung. "do a reset" we doing a reset has never worked at least when I had the LG, this Samsung from day one has always had a flaky battery life, (though I must say not this badly), But doing resets is a royal PIA as it takes forever to get things set up and get it all the way you like. I still think it has something to do with all the pre installed apps thanks to Samsung and AT&T causing issues which is why I am considering just dumping it and going with a Nokia Android One phone. No add ons, except what you add yourself. If one of those causes trouble you simply dump that app. Was hoping someone else had seen this and perhaps had a "tip" other than "reset"

You could root the phone. However I say do it at your own risk.

Rooting the phone will give you access to all the locked function's. Allow you to install and uninstall anything you choose. Among other things.

Again , AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Do some research on it and see for yourself if it's something you are willing to do.

I have thought about it but I don't think it is the best option. The phone is worth more $$ as it is. I figure I could simply sell it and buy a true Android product. I.E. the Nokia, a Google Pixel, Huawei, or so on. I really wish MS had not abandoned the Windows phone. They were the flat out best.

I'm a Nerd's Nerd, and have run every OS I could get my hands on, all the way back to PC DOS, an IBM OS I can't remember the name of, Mac OS, half a dozen Linux distros as well as every version of Windows except ME (Thank God for that!)
I threw out Win7 when MS stuck that tool in my tray that reminded me that I HAD to upgrade, soon!
Currently happy as a pig in mud with Linux Mint Cinnamon.

Oh, and btw...large piece of New York Rye, 2 thick slices of grilled Bologna, 2 slices of American Cheese, a BIG spoonful of caramelized onions, another piece of Rye, and grilled till the cheese melts.

[edit] That IBM OS was OS/2 Warp.

Last edited:

Back