Wind?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom W

TVWBB Member
During my last cook I had a wind problem. I had to add extra coals and run it with all vents at 100% and I still had probs keeping a stable temp. My target temp was 225-250. I was in that range for all of the cook but I had trouble keeping the temp. What a pain.

What do you do when the wind kicks up during a cook? How do you keep the temps stable?

Tom....some sort of wind screen will help. I simply use my big Weber gasser. It is covered and has wheels....VERY easy to maneuver around and it blocks any and all wind.

Others have used old cardboard boxes..especially large appliance boxes.

If the wind is really bad, I will move everything into my garage.....I set-up the cooker right at the doorway and keep the overhead door open. Works like a charm. Matter of fact, when I cook at the in-laws I must do this every time..they live on the beach on Lake Huron and it's usually very windy.

Another idea is to get a 55 gallon drum and cut the ends off. Some people have made hinged plywood windbreaks that fold. Generally something that is 3 sided is all that you need. It should be heavy enough to not be blown around either.

I was thinking of making some sort of windscreen or move the wsm near the entrance of my garage. I just don't want to get too carried away with building stuff. Cause soon I'll have a smoke house and a wsm. LOL
Thanks for the replies.

I've had a few problems with wind myself but can't seem to shake the urge to BBQ. I made a 3 sided wind screen from 8'x4' 3/4" plywood and some galvanized hinges. I bought the wood @ Lowes and had them cut it so I'd have straight edges. Installing the hinges was a breeze (pun intended). It's pretty heavy but folds up nicely for storage.

I just pull the umbrella off my patio table and lay it on the ground upwind of WSM. Its easy to move around as the wind shifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back