Wind advice

L Weiner

TVWBB Member
I am thinking of doing a chicken tomorrow as my second cook, but we are going to have 15-20 mph winds, advice?

Well , definitely no water in the pan. And how are you fixed for wind breaks? Can you shelter the smoker at all? Maybe go with 2 full chimneys of lit and do a hot quick cook. That way you can get inside faster and eat! Good luck , man.

The WSMs do not work well in the wind. My 18.5 dropped 50 degrees in 30 minutes on a HH cook and it the wind was just gusting not steady and not over 20 mph. They need to be sheltered or you will have trouble.

I am thinking of doing a chicken tomorrow as my second cook, but we are going to have 15-20 mph winds, advice?

Put it in your livingroom and keep the windows open just a litlle =) Just kidding .
Try to keep it not in direct wind. You can also try to do a little insolation aroud it like a wool blanket or water heater blanket.
Hope this helps.
Peter

Use your chimney if you have one and get the coals going quickly. Shelter the smoker as best you can and close off the bottom vent (s) facing the wind. Turn your top vent away from the wind and operate using one bottom vent if you have to. You will figure it out from there.

Back