Winco Charcoal worth buying?

Brian Thomas

TVWBB Pro
I saw in another thread that 18lb bags of Winco charcoal are about $8, which is about $0.05 less per LB than the 20lb bags of KBB @ Lowes & HD. Depending on what the summer holiday sales are like this year, might just start buying this. But is it worth it? Don't want to get into a situation like I did about 3 years ago when I got 4 twin packs of the RO Premium Charcoal when Wal Mart had it on sale only to find out that it was not worth buying at any price. :rolleyes:

I bought one bag of Winco charcoal a couple of years ago; near as I could tell, it was just private-labeled RO.

Since I can't stand RO, I haven't purchased any more of the Winco. I would love to hear if they've changed suppliers.

I bought one bag of Winco charcoal a couple of years ago; near as I could tell, it was just private-labeled RO.

Since I can't stand RO, I haven't purchased any more of the Winco. I would love to hear if they've changed suppliers.
Quick note: RO is all I use. Bet you haven't tried the RO that I use.......
- helps to specify which of the multiple RO product lines you can't stand -

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of the Winco Charcoal. I buy the regular and the mesquite. They're 16.6LBS and I'm only paying $5.99 a bag. I also buy the Lil' Devils pellets for my SmokeFire. 20LBS bag for $7

I would say that it's a safe bet to say that the mega charcoal sales of the past may be long gone now. It's been what, two summers now of no sales? Pellets are taking over, and I'm sure that may have something to do with it.

Charlie

I'm a huge fan of the Winco Charcoal. I buy the regular and the mesquite. They're 16.6LBS and I'm only paying $5.99 a bag. I also buy the Lil' Devils pellets for my SmokeFire. 20LBS bag for $7
Never tried Winco charcoal but have used Lil' Devil pellets with good results. Used to get it at the Reno store for $4.98/20 lbs. Will be getting some of their charcoal to try next time we go to Reno.

Sorry about that. The Woodshed OC, down here in Orange.
Currently buy both Blue Hog Lump and Chef's Select Briquettes from Patty, the owner.
i've been buying peach and pecan chunks from Sharpe's... honestly the finest and seems pretty damn fresh cut, none of this sitting in bags in local hardware store for the last 13 years.
BIG difference with Sharpe's wood.

Back