Will it fit ?

Excellent job. That's as good as it's going to get, unless you decide to grind that rust down and repaint it with hi heat paint.

Nice. now get some food on that grill. Some bacon cheese burgers for lunch, and a couple of rib steaks for dinner and it will be perfect.:blackgenesis1000:

So I have a question about getting the really nasty greasy stuff off the outside.
I have cleaned the left side of the pic below with simple green and a sponge.
The nasty grease is still there. I don't want to damage the paint by getting too rough.
Should I use a scrubbing brush or scourer ? or a stronger cleaning solution ?

clean.png

Well, it's pretty clear that you're going to have to get more aggressive with it to get it really clean. The problem is I'm not sure either at what point the paint is going to start coming off. I might suggest spraying the whole box with oven cleaner and letting it soak inside a garbage bag for several hours. I don't think that would hurt the paint, but I can't guarantee it.

I'm getting thru the cleaning process, I have got rid of most of the dirt that I can

insideb4.png

The bits I've circled are flaking paint. What is the best way to remove the flaky bits without removing it all ? A stiff scrubbing brush ?

inside afteredit.png
paint flakes2.jpg

Paint? Not normal. Could be the combo of ash etc. That looks and peels like paint but is carbon.
Maybe yours was mistreated by po

I'm getting thru the cleaning process, I have got rid of most of the dirt that I can

View attachment 42838

The bits I've circled are flaking paint. What is the best way to remove the flaky bits without removing it all ? A stiff scrubbing brush ?

View attachment 42842
View attachment 42841
The inside of the cook box is not painted, so that is burnt grease or carbon that is flaking off.

I use a plastic scraper, but I'm not looking for "really clean".

There are tips in this thread.

If you are going to keep the grill and use it, just scrape out what you can with a putty knife or similar. If you want better, some oven cleaner with a household steel wool pad. But, it will just get dirty again after a few cooks. If you want to get it better than that, then grab an angle grinder with a 4" wire cup brush and go after it. If you know of a sand blaster, you can take it to them and have it really cleaned.

Yah, there should be no paint inside the grill except some overspray around the top inside edge. Get aggressive with scrapers and putty knives if you like.

Also, are there any tips for reassembling the scale ? (before I lose an eye or the spring goes flying over the fence)

It looked quite bad and was very stiff so I popped it open and have scraped it, cleaned it, rust converted and sprayed it.

I cant get the spring loaded in properly

scale 1.png

scale 2.png

What Bruce said! No paint inside the box!!!! That’s just crud, you can try oven cleaner, simple green or any number of things. If you really want to get it clean, sandblast or cup brush on a grinder. It’s a pretty filthy job and three cooks in, no one will ever know.
Grinding the outside isn’t too awful, then mask the edges with a paper mask on the opening on the bottom and high temp paint.
I wish my drip pan was that clean!!

Back