Wild Grape Vines

Bill Rogers

TVWBB Member
Who has actually used wild grape vines for smokewood and what were your experiences? How dry or seasoned do the vines need to be? Are we talking weeks, months or “years”. From what I have seen with nuisance vines that I have cut in the past is that after they die (dry out) there isn’t much left of them!

Bill

I would love to see answers from experienced people too. I've never used them myself, but have read that they should be used sparingly, as they are quite heavy on the flavor and smokiness.

Matt,

That is funny because I had read just the opposite!! One old posting on this site said that they were disappointed because the wild grape vines gave the food virtually no taste!!

Bill

Interesting. Maybe age or variety of grape matters? I have no idea.

Do you have some now? You could do a test burn on your grill on top of a small bed of charcoal.

I have a lot of them, I use them, but in small amounts with other woods. Not sure if I ever used them alone. I like the results using them in addition to other woods.

Dennis,

In your experience, what type of flavor do the grape vines add to the food. Is it a light flavor or a heavy flavor? How dry are your grape vines and what other woods do you use with them?

Bill

Light. Me, I never mix them; I use plenty. I use woody vine only. Lamb, poultry and some white-fleshed fish.

Bill-I would say it is a very light flavor. They are pretty dry, I have had them a year, I have a friend in the wine industry, and I get vines, barrels (OAK) etc.

Back