Why Oak?

Gary N

TVWBB Member
Question about oak here. It seems that of all the books I read and shows I have watched that ALOT of pitmasters use oak. Yes alot use hickory, apple, even green mesquite as well but it seems oak is present 85% of the time. Is it the flavor, the cost, the availability?
I have been using hickory, apple and cherry but am I missing the boat by not using oak?

Thanks!

In my opinion if hickory is the king of hard wood than oak is the queen of hard wood, nice flavor not so heavy as hickory and with the two of them it’s a nice mix. Also you can mix in a little apple for its fruitiness

I use oak almost all of the time now.

For me, yes it is the cost (couple free logs I got from hydro cuttings), yes it is the availablility (I can find it easily), and yes to the flavour as well.

Burt
icon_smile.gif

Oak is a great 'fuel' source that provides minimal flavor. Hickory is a great fuel and flavor source. Alot of people will use oak predominately as a heat source with hickory mixed in for flavor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frederik:
@ Burtess, how long do you let the oak dry before you're able to use it for smoking? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I kept it outside standing on end as "logs" about 6-8" in diameter and 3 feet long and began using cuts off it the next year, so maybe 10 months since it was cut.

Burt
icon_smile.gif

Why oak? I guess you could ask that of the makers of great wines and whiskeys that same question too.

We have a bunch of wineries in central New York, and considering the wine business here is relatively young (<30 yrs or so), they tend to cater to the lowest common denominator, probably trying to earn a meager buck. Often times, wineries will offer me a taste of an "un-oaked" chardonnay (aged in steel) and it will be clearly lacking and taste hollow. Aging in oak adds a characteristic that is critical, and I treat smoked beef similarly and feel it necessary to give it some oak.

I finally caught the Throwdown between Flay and Ed Mitchell yesterday. Mitchell swears by oak and hickory. Says oak has a nice sweet flavor.
I never even thought about the oak barrels for wine as it helps impart flavor. Living near the Jack Daniels distillery, I forgot that they also use all used charred oak barrels from vineyards for aging.
Plenty of oak around here, I will give it a try.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I never even thought about the oak barrels for wine as it helps impart flavor. Living near the Jack Daniels distillery, I forgot that they also use all used charred oak barrels from vineyards for aging. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it really taste very similar whether smoked with it or aged in it. I taste vanilla but I'm sure there's other flavors there too. It definitely has an iconic taste that is associated with whiskey and wine, which carries over to bbq. As far as its original use, it probably had more to do with what trees were available that yielded the best barrel staves*. However, now oak flavor is now an essential element and people can identify with it which makes it an ideal bbq ingredient. How things might be if europe was riddled with tall straight hickory trees, instead of oak, when wine production evolved.

*I'm no expert on wine (or whiskey) but I do know a bit about beer. Smoked beers are occasionally produced now, and come from lightly smoking the barley during the malting process. This was the way all beers were produced before the invention of the kiln. What is now considered a novelty was actually standard and dropped when better technology came along. I imagine something like this could have occurred if steel tanks came along early in the evolution wine, we would now be enjoying a charming, novelty chardonnay aged in oak barrels as a change of pace from the standard. Whatever the case was for its use (oak has good flavor or oak makes good barrels) we have oak in our flavor memory, so be a pro and use it to make an impression on a wide range of people.

I like oak. I kind of think of oak as a nice baseline wood. The jack daniels oak chips from their recycled barrels are a nice touch from time to time.

I also really like to use pecan as I consider it to be right between hickory and oak (Maybe I am just making that up though). Then I can add fruit wood for any additional wood flavor I may want.

Plus, pecan is a family thing as I used to help my grandma gather pecans on my great-grand parents land in eastern NC. I guess its my way to connect BBQ to my family.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary N:
Question about oak here. It seems that of all the books I read and shows I have watched that ALOT of pitmasters use oak. Yes alot use hickory, apple, even green mesquite as well but it seems oak is present 85% of the time. Is it , the availability?
I have been using hickory, apple and cherry but am I missing the boat by not using oak?

Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's the availability. Oak is common through out the US. I myself love it for anything beef, and pork also.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Oak is a great 'fuel' source that provides minimal flavor. Hickory is a great fuel and flavor source. Alot of people will use oak predominately as a heat source with hickory mixed in for flavor.

Larry Wolfe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What he said. Oak for cheap heat, Others for flavor.

KenA

i mix it with hickory to mellow things out a bit depending what im cooking. i really like the mix but i've yet to use oak alone.
ace quit carrying oak in the chunk size. i have to saw or split their larger size for use on the wsm.

I imagine your own personal experience plays a part in what you like. "Memories" from way back, etc.

Agree that pecan is in between oak & hickory in strength of taste. But my memory prefers oak for beef (brisket) and hickory for pork. Pecan for beef as well. Save hickory for pork.
icon_smile.gif

Back