Why do ppl Boil Ribs?

I don't know Jim, they were spot on with their Spam 'n Limas recipe.

enhanced-buzz-10821-1389281128-13.jpg

I like spam, but that's disgusting.

If someone actually prefers the boiled ribs after tasting "real" ribs, then they are welcome to their opinion, as far as I'm concerned. They could save a lot of time and trouble, though, with this recipe:
Boil two cups of Kraft barbecue sauce. Cut one kitchen sponge into strips 8 inches long and 2inches wide. Place sponge strips into the sauce until soggy. Serve with instant mashed potatoes.

Country style ribs cut from Boston butts is the only thing I'll boil if I'm wanting a quick meal. Obviously it's evil.... They will be fork tender.

I'd never boil pork ribs but I do some beef ribs that I simmer in veggie broth, season salt, and apple juice until tender. Then cut up and caramelize with bbq sauce on the grill. The family loves them and they're done in 2 hours. I think the beef holds up well to boiling but the pork just bleeds out all flavor.

It's all about convenience. They might not be true barbecue, but they're much easier for most people to execute (par-boil and finish quickly with sauce on the grill while people are waiting). If you get enough char from the grill, some people might even say they taste good.

It helps if you think of it as a completely different style of rib. City-style vs. country-style, if you will.

Re: sous-vide ribs, I had an appetizer of baby back riblets that had been cooked sous vide until fall of the bone tender and then finished with an asian style glaze under a salamander. They were awesome. As tender as all get out, but not mushy at all. I'll definitely give it a shot some day.

Back