Who's cooking today?

It was excellent. We had tri tip tacos and beans, which were the best I've ever had. His rub on the tri was to die for.

I'm glad you enjoyed the dinner. I had a great time cooking it and the margaritas and salsas were excellent.

Paul--

Yes, direct over high-piled lump then indirect. This tri was a nice thick one.

Rich--

I made frijoles borrachos as well since you gave me the idea. What I do is similar to your recipe (no cumin; fresh, peeled, diced tomatoes--they dissolve and concentrate nicely during cooking) and I normally never use meat or meat products in borrachos. However, I still had about a 6-ounce piece of artisan andouille in my fridge and I diced that into beans to heat through for the last 15 or so minutes because I wanted Jane and David to try it. It worked very well.

One thing I always do with frijoles borrachos and many other pinto bean dishes is to mash some of the beans with a potato masher to thicken up the lot. I did this last night before adding the andouille. If the beans are still liquid-y and you don't want to mash more or don't have the time for further reduction you can take a plain corn tortilla (or two), tear it into tiny pieces, then crumble those into the pot; stir well. In a few minutes the tortilla will absorb some liquid; in a few more the tortilla will dissolve into the beans and not be very distinguishable except for a background masa flavor which, imo, works well with the beans. I did this last night too.

Thanks for the idea. It's been a while since I put frijoles borrachos on the table.

Again, had a great time, Jane!

Kevin-

Good tip on mashing up some of the beans to adjust the thickness. I didn't have an issue with thickness on this batch as they sat on my stove all day. Actually had to add a little beer to loosen them up before serving!!!
icon_wink.gif

Sounds like you and Jane had a good time.

R

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Angiel:
I put on 4 pork butts last night - one for each of the neighbors, one for dinner, one for leftovers the rest of the week. Also had the Doctored Bush's Baked going on an expansion rack in between the two racks of butts. It was my first cook with guava, and it was well received. I was out early checking on the fire and progess this morning. And the beautiful Central FL morning, smoke and coffee were a wonderful combo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Rick, just read your post...glad the guava wood worked out for you pork butts.

Aloha,

Greg Kemp

Back