Who's cooking today?

Bob T.

TVWBB Wizard
Have an 8.5# tip roast on, and will toss on some bratwurst soon. Using some apple wood for this smoke. In the 20's and windy. Winter will not let go!!
Just got back from BJ's club. Bought some Boston butts for $1.29#. Have done nothing but Picnics since I bought the WSM. Can't wait to see if there is much difference between the two. (I saw nothing on the wrapper that said enhanced)

Got four sides of spares and some country style ribs goin right now.

NOT ME
icon_frown.gif
Too many snakes, too many fires, too many deadlines. Having to hang on the job tomorrow BUT checking Wall
y-world for a packer to carry home and smoke tomorrow/Saturday. Wife claims she is going to the church women's retreat at the beach, leaving me, the human garbage disposal and the dog for the weekend. NO brisket for her.
icon_smile.gif
That and fixing the kitchen floor after the icemaker leak.
icon_mad.gif

Got 21 lbs of pork butt on for a church function tomorrow afternoon. Butts were mustard slathered and rubbed with Renowed Mr. Brown and went on around 6:30 PM. Used 4 chunks of hickory and 3 chunks of oak and backyard smells great! Smoker is chugging along at 230* at the grate and smallest butt is now at 142*. Hopefully the ET-73 will stay quiet tonight. Best thing of all...I got to take the day off tomorrow without using a vacation day!

Tip roast was great, and found out I am the only one in the house that likes to eat the Bratwurst. Sux to be me lol. The reason I did the Tip roast is my Wife's Dad gave us a pound of deli beef for sandwich's. I told her I don't care for deli beef anymore...not after smoking one of these and slicing up. It's cheaper per pound, and taste much better! Hope your food came out as well.
Have fun.

Got a 9 lb packer at Wally World. In a cooler in the trunk; will be in Charlotte this afternoon and on the smoker tonight!!! Bride changing mind, may stay home this weekend!

Not really. A couple of the roommates had flaked out and she has a ton of work to get done -- (a teacher's job is 24/7 for 10 months a year, seems like) -- of course the Q helped.

Brining a 9 lb. turkey breast today with keri c.'s apple honey brine. Got to get it out of the freezer so I can get pork butts in there (splitting a 60 lb. case with someone @ $1.19/lb.). Gonna try the orange pellet sample I have. The orange should work decent, no?

Rob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob T.:
...Winter will not let go!!...
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is only March!!
icon_eek.gif

It may only be March Greg, but the avg high temp (of which we haven't seen for a while) should be 45, and we were in the teens the other day with the wind blowing. Yep, I'm tired of it.

Oh boy! First dual cook tonight. 4 1/2 lb flat on the bottom and 7 lb butt on top. As per several folks rec. I am going back to water for this cook. I never thought I would say that. It is not worth drying out a brisket on the bottom.

For this cook I cut up bacon to put on the top of the brisket. There was very little fat on the bottom so I put some bacon under it.

After I dutifully placed the bacon , I remembered There was a nice fatty butt on top. My guess is the bacon on top was waisted.

Brisket is on. Had to go back and put the bacon on under it with the smoke in my eyes -- what the heck? Brisket sure looks thin on the end. Only going to run about 210-215 overnight.

Not really cooking yet but I started getting ready to smoke four ducks. I did the three dips in boiling water, paint, and hang dry part. Now they dry in the bottom of the refrigerator for smoking Sunday morning.

I used the recipe on this link

I did this once before with two ducks and they came out so good I had to repeat. If they come out as good as the last time, I'm figuring on two for Sunday brunch and two to slice, put in Foodsaver packs and freeze.

We'll see and report further on Sunday.

Griff

Vernon, this was my second flat...better than first effort. Went to 185 then foiled. Much better texture than foiling at 160. How was your cook? Guru?

Steve -- yes guru. Ran for 18 hours at 210-215. First packer attempt. temp in middle of flat was about 174 and in part over point was about 165 when I foiled for one more hour. Rave reviews, 6 adults and four small pieces left. It was somewhat fat and I am of the opinion based on temperature that the rendering was not complete. On the other hand, I had temperature differentials of up to 30 F n the flat portions and I was worried about jerky in the thin portion of hte flat.

It was probably better to cook as you did rather than over do it...don't some separate the point and flat when doing a packer towards the end of the cook?

Back