Whole Shoulder?

Danielle D.

Thank goodness for this forum. On many occasions I have referred back to it for my WSM. Over the summer I have been really successful with what I have done so far thanks to this forum.

My experiences have been only with ribs and many briskets. But now I would like to try a whole Shoulder on the WSM.

It is 16 lbs it is bigger than anything I have ever done on the WSM and it goes almost the entire width of the WSM

I am hoping someone will have some tips. Or advice to share on their experiences doing one.

Hi Danielle, I'm right with you. I just bought my first whole shoulder yesterday (15 lbs). So now there are 2 people that need help. Good luck.

Brian

Someone here does them regularly but I can't think who. Do a search with the find tab and see what you find.

You can remove all the skin or just that closest to the butt. The removed skin can be used as a heat shield placed under those portions of the butt that extend to the sides of the cooker where the heat rises most. If you leave the skin on the picnic you may wish to inject it (alone or not) so that it is seasoned.

Kevin,

That's a great idea to use the skin as a heat shield on the outer edges of the grate. I cooked a lot of ribs this weekend and noticed that my longer slabs would have more of a char (almost burnt)look on the ends near the edges. It gave the ribs and somewhat "uneven cooking" look. I would guess foil would do the same for ribs??

Stu

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Someone here does them regularly but I can't think who. Do a search with the find tab and see what you find.

You can remove all the skin or just that closest to the butt. The removed skin can be used as a heat shield placed under those portions of the butt that extend to the sides of the cooker where the heat rises most. If you leave the skin on the picnic you may wish to inject it (alone or not) so that it is seasoned. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, foil will help deflect the heat. I use it myself in the same situation. The spares I do most often are long.

Back