Whole rack of beef short ribs

MW_Miller

TVWBB Member
Recommendations on how to cook these. I bought a cryopack (4 racks - 15 lbs) for the weekend. I have made Korean style with the flanken cut (grilled) but I want to cook these on the wsm (low and slow). I am thinking of marinating a couple and putting a good rub on them. They should take around 4-5 hours. I have seen where some have smoked for 2-3 hours (~150 internal)then wrap in foil and finish to 195 or so. I am open to suggestions.

MW-

I do them just like I do pork spares. 230-250 lid temp, they usually take closer to 6 or so hours for me. There's plenty of fat in them to not need the foil treatment, and you really do want that to render away or they will be greasy. They are usually very rich, and I love them. I don't find them around me that often.

Good luck. Report back on how it goes.

R

Thanks Rich. I have cooked spares numerous times. I did some over Memorial day using a chinese 5 spice marinade with shaoxing cooking wine. This is a really nice way to do spares if you are looking for something different. My wife is from Shanghai - she likes bbq but does recommend something different from time to time. I grew up in Oklahoma - I love traditional style bbq.
I will take some pics, and let you know how they turn out.
Mike

Back