Whole pork shoulder

Brian Elliot

Never done one before and I've never even seen one before (I'm talking about the big boy, the boston butt and the picnic together). However, I'm set to order a couple from the local meat place but I have a couple of questions.

Should I be able to get a whole pork shoulder on the top of my 18.5 bullet? Will I be able to get one on the bottom rack too?

Should I bother turning it over during the cook or just leave it skin side down the whole time?

Is it really going to take me 20 some hrs to get one done? (I'm guessing it will be 17 lbs or so in weight)

If any of you have tips or advice feel free to chime in.

I frequently do a whole shoulder (16-20 lb range) in my 18.5 WSM. No problems fitting it on the top rack,haven't tried to put one on the bottom rack. I don't turn it, and cook it skin up for about 12 hours, gets to 190 internal.

It could take much longer. Or shorter. It will depend on cooktemps.

Yes you should be able to fit two. It can be a tight squeeze in the beginning but there will be shrinkage.

I go skin up. If not planning on using the skin at service you can smoke halfway (or more) then remove the shoulders, remove the skin, apply rub on the exposed surface, and return to the cooker.

Welcome to the board.

Chris, at what temps did you cook that shoulder to have it done in 12hrs. I typically run my smoker at 240. I'll probably leave myself a few hours for variation. It shouldn't hurt that big of a piece of meat if I have to let it set for and hour or two before pulling/picking.

Kruger, thanks for the welcome. I might try the skin a couple of different ways. We actually plan on having two WSMs and a total of 4 whole shoulders. We are having a big gathering and a keg will be in attendance.

Thanks for the replies.

Kevin, does cooking halfway (or more) then removing the skin make it easier to remove (I would assume so)? What benefit do you get from leaving the skin on? Whenever I do picnics, I always wrestle with the skin to cut it away before rubbing and putting in the cooker. It is a pretty long chore to do so.

Yes. It's easier. You'll want to glove your free hand to hold/pull back the skin as you cut (I just use a kitchen towel).

No benefit to leaving it on unless you're a skin fan. I like it but only leave it on occasionally, like for pernil.

Brian
That sounds like an amazing party!!

Be sure to accurately calculate your beer-to-pork ratio.

Have a great time.... I guarantee the pork will be awesome.

icon_confused.gif
I'll have to measure 'em next time I see 'em at the grocery store, but I could've sworn that most of the ones I've seen around here were longer than 18.5 inches.

Back