Whole pork loin suggestions?

Steve Wene

TVWBB Member
I have a whole loin (9.5lbs) that I am going to cook as just one of the meats for a large crowd. Unfortunately because of travel and timing I'm going to have to cook the loin on Friday for a Saturday afternoon meal so it will have to be reheated.

Does anyone have a killer rub or injection recipe that they'd like to share? I like the idea of an injection, in hopes of keeping the meat moist since I'm sure the reheating is going to dry it a bit.

My thoughts were:
Layer the top with bacon, tie it all up, dust with a paprika/garlic/salt/pepper rub, cook high heat to 150. Pull and let rest, slice before reheating.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

I don't often wrap anything with bacon. Love bacon, just not a fan of wrapping things in it (except ABTs). I want the meat's surface to take on the flavors of cooking and the rub, not the bacon.

That said, if you choose to go with bacon blanch the slices first, in boiling water for a few minutes; cool, then apply to the loin. Blanching first will allow them to cook more quickly. At the relatively short cook time for loin, bacon doesn't cook all that well.

I don't care to bother with injections most of the time, but I will sometimes flavor-brine loins. This takes some time - like a couple or three days - so injecting is obviously much quicker and thus is definitely an option, however the process of injecting then cooking to a relatively low internal does set up the potential for a food safety problem. With injections one really should cook to a higher internal if one is going to cool/store/reheat. 150 works, but that is higher than I like to take loin in a reheating scenario.

What I use for flavoring depends on the meal, especially the sides.

Whatever you choose, I'd suggest cooking to an internal of 137-138 if not injecting, 150 if injecting. Remove the roast, place on a rack over a pan, then allow to cool uncovered. Get the excess heat to dissipate well, then place the whole shebang in the fridge - uncovered - to finish cooling. Don't wrap for storage till cold. (A lower internal finish means this happens more quickly.)

Keep the loin wrapped for reheating at the outset. Reheat to an internal of 140 or so, unwrap, then continue to reheat till the internal its 150-152.

Alternatively, after cooking allow the roast to rest 30 min on a rack, as noted above. Slice on the thick side, 1/4-1/2 inch, spread out the slices and allow to cool; chill in the fridge then stack and wrap for storage. Reheat by fanning the slices on a sheet pan then drizzling well with a mix of chicken stock and a bit of unsalted butter, covering tightly, and taking all to no higher than serving temp, about 150. For service, quickly fan the slices on a warm platter, nap with your sauce of choice; serve.

Back