Whole Packer Question

j. pavone

TVWBB Super Fan
Im not sure how this cooked so fast but here we go. I put the packer on at 9pm last night with full water pan - at 4am the meat temp hit 160 - triple wrapped in foil - at 6am meat temp hit 190 - placed in dry cooler and wrapped in 3 heavy bath towels - just checked now and meat temp at 9am and the meat temp came down to 150. lid temp held at 240 the entire cook. 12 1/2 lb. packer cooked in 9 hours does not seem right to me. will the brisket still be hot at 4-430pm today and be warm enough for dinner. i was figuring the cooking times would be 1 1/2 per pound. should i plan to heat up the oven later this afternoon to get it warmed up? right before i wrapped i even checked the very end of the flat portion and it was as tender as could be almost too perfect. i have cooked packers before but not this quick

9 hours. I don't think that's "too quick". I think it's just about right especially after you foiled the meat.

You'll need to reheat. You're at 150 right now and you shouldn't let it go below 140. There's no way that's going to be able to rest until 4:30 (7 1/2 hours).

smoker temp is at 200 right now. should i warm the oven now and put it in or will it dry out? should i put it on the smoker and let it stay warm as the smoker temp drop during the course of the day? either way i should keep it foiled.

Foiling speeds cooking, as Jeff points out.

If you want to go by the Food Code the temp you don't want the meat to fall below is 135; if you want to go by reality then the temp is 130. In either case, monitoring the internal is usually unwarranted for two reasons: first, bacterial growth in internal sections of roasts is unlikely--bacteria growth is more likely on the surface of the meat; second, surfaces tend to cool more quickly than interior portions.

I don't recommend trying to hold all day. Unwrap the brisket and allow to cool on the counter, preferably on a rack in a roasting pan for good air circulation. Save and defat any juices. When cooler, stick the brisket (still on its rack/pan arrangement) in the fridge loosely covered with plastic, to finish cooling.

To reheat, drizzle some beef stock, saved juices, a blend of the two (plus a little melted butter), some juice with a little butter, over the brisket, stick a remote probe in the flat, cover the pan with foil tightly, and reheat in a 300 oven to an internal of ~150. (If you prefer, you can wrap the brisket in foil with the drizzle and reheat that way, in the oven or WSM, 300F, to an ~150 internal.)

Can't go wrong following Kevin's advise here.

I had the same thign happen to me back in June and followed the same advise form Kevin. Turned out to be one of my best Briskets ever
icon_smile.gif

Back