Whole Packer Brisket in Westchester, NY? Or How Best to Smoke Flats?

Stone

TVWBB Super Fan
I just moved to mid-Westchester, NY, and I’m going to start smoking again. I can’t find whole packer briskets anywhere. Any suggestions?

On the other hand, I find a lot of flats in cryovac. Any tips on smoking two flats? Should I put some type of fat on them? I assume the cook will go much faster?

Just ask your Costco butcher to bring one in for you. They likely already do stock full packers.

Costco sell Traegers which means Costco stocks whole packers.

And you can ask your local supermarket butcher to order you one as well.

Hi Stone. I'm also in Wchester these days... Mt Kisco area. You need to get in touch with a local butcher and order it. There is a Costco in southern Wchester, but they never have whole brisket and it's insanely crowded. My experience has not been positive with that particular store at all. I'm from rural NH fwiw.

I use a butcher in Katonah and one in Mt Kisco. Happy to share info with you if need be.

I have asked a Costco butcher about getting a whole briskets and I was told they basically get what they get from their supplier. Maybe he was just blowing me off, but I did not get the impression he could just order briskets on special order.

They always seem to have flats though, and that cut is more money per pound (8.99/lb. yesterday at our Costco) than the whole brisket. When they do have a whole brisket it has been around 5.99/lb. Anyway, a lot of people must be cooking the flats, but I vastly prefer smoking the whole brisket. Much more tender and harder to dry out. So I am not sure that cooking two flats instead of a whole brisket would be the way I would go.

You would think that with all of these flats in the meat case that there would be an equivalent number of points also in the meat case, but I have never seen a point sold by itself. I have seen more and more ground beef advertised as ground brisket, so maybe the points are being used for that.

Been a tough couple years. But last week I got lucky.

Instead of 599 and 899 there was a prime packer for 279....

There is hope

Last edited:
I have asked a Costco butcher about getting a whole briskets and I was told they basically get what they get from their supplier. Maybe he was just blowing me off, but I did not get the impression he could just order briskets on special order.

They always seem to have flats though, and that cut is more money per pound (8.99/lb. yesterday at our Costco) than the whole brisket. When they do have a whole brisket it has been around 5.99/lb. Anyway, a lot of people must be cooking the flats, but I vastly prefer smoking the whole brisket. Much more tender and harder to dry out. So I am not sure that cooking two flats instead of a whole brisket would be the way I would go.

You would think that with all of these flats in the meat case that there would be an equivalent number of points also in the meat case, but I have never seen a point sold by itself. I have seen more and more ground beef advertised as ground brisket, so maybe the points are being used for that.
They can request them, the disti will ship what they have. I’d ask Member Services and elevate over the butcher. My Costco butcher knows me and we talk cooks all the time. They’re happy to get what members want.

If they have flats then they have points too. Idk who’d choose a flat over a point but that’s just me. Flats make great corned beef and pastrami. Not much else. I personally wouldn’t smoke a flat as the time/effort for the yield is too low IMO. I’d cook a flat in my oven however.

And an all brisket burger isn’t that great. I’ve done them and wasn’t impressed. My best burger is 25% brisket, 25% short rib and 50% sirloin. Double grind and don’t trim the brisket fat off as it’s needed.

If Costco fails you, seek your local supermarket butcher. You should be able to order a 14-17# packer from them. I used to do this many years ago before whole packers were as common as they are today.

I’m CA we’re seeing whole packers from $4.29-4.99# for Choice to Prime in that order.

You’re in Westchester, correct? Which part? I find it hard to fathom you can’t get this whole packer. It can’t be that bad there to find this cut for you. Beef is very high by us right now. NY steaks were 14.99 in the supermarket yesterday. I walked right by it and bought chicken and two mahi-mahi (whole side, frozen). Those were 5.49#.

Last edited:
Not sure where in Wchester you live. I live in Danbury, shop Costco in Brookfield and they always seem to have full packers. Last one was $5.49 a pound. Up 50 cents from the previous time. Good luck. FWIW, they also have pork bellies for bacon. Ummm.

I called one butcher in Westchester who said he could get a whole packer for $9.99/pound. Seems crazy.

Is there a Wegman's nearby? They recently opened in Harrison. And there's also Restaurant Depot and Costco in Port Chester. And if you do venture into Port Chester then check out Neri's bakery if you like bread and desserts.

Back