whole ny strip this weekend

Sean S.

TVWBB Pro
so i was inspired by this thread to try one of these tomorrow. i got a 13lber from costco which i'll do in the wsm.

2 questions: 1) i'm shooting for to do it at 300 with some cherry and birch for smoke, so what are your guesses to the time it will take to com up to med-rare and 2) would you think just a simple montreal coating or some type of herb paste like j used? gievn that it will just be on the edges i almost think a lovely paste like that would get wasted.

thanks!

Sean it's probably a pretty thin piece of meat so I'm thinking 1-11/2 hours to get it where you want it. It's pretty easy to overshoot medium rare when your cooking at that temp with a thin cut of meat. Montreal spice would be good on it.

Well i think about 1.5h-2h in time maby more couse its a huge Strip.

And a herb Rub is always nice.

A tip:

3 cloves of garlic
a few leafs of basil
Some rosmary/and or thyme.
add salt/pepper and some evoo to bring it to a paste.
Run it in a mortar to make a smooth paste and rub the meat 2-4hours prior to cooking and let it rest in the fridge.

Good luck hope it turns out great!

Sean,
I started the thread back in December that you have referenced. I ended up simply cutting the strip into steaks because high winds on the South Carolina coast were a problem that weekend. I am, however, very interested in how cooking it as a roast works out. Please give us a detailed recap once you are done and let us know what exactly you did and how it turned out. BTW, I think the Montreal rub will do just fine and be less of a hassle. That is how Dr. BBQ does prime rib in some videos I have seen. I have done prime ribs that way and they work out great.
Good luck.

Charlie M.

thanks for the ideas, guys. i like the paste recipe, wolgast!

i'll try to remember to keep the camera in hand
icon_wink.gif

Nice paste recipe Daniel. Yes the roast is big but it is still a thin cut of meat normally(maybe a pic might help) so I would worry about overcooking it quickly at 300. The last one I did got away from me when I didn't pay attention and ended up medium.

i'll be checking the temp constantly, bob; that's a definite concern. but i do like having a smaller window, as that allows me to plan the timing for when the guests arrive.

I always lean towards the undercooked side when I'm cooking roasts. You can usually find a slice of meat to everyone's taste and when your reusing for left-overs a little more heat won't matter. With a strip loin if someone wants it more well done then you can always cut it into a steak and give a sear on the grill.

good points, bob. i'll try and get a cryo photo up today; i tried to find one that was pretty uniform along its whole length.

hehe, actually both he and bon jovi live just a few miles away.

I'm sure the aroma of the strip cooking will bring them over tomorrow
icon_smile.gif

I'm a big fan of both the Montreal and the garlic/herb paste approach. I've done strip roasts with the garlic paste and they come out great, I've also done pork loin that way. Just rub a few hours before cooking. Serve that up with some crash 'tater's and asparagus and you've got yourself a great meal. Good luck, and post pics.

I am with Bob on this I would cook it to med rare and when they show up ask them how they want it and cut them steaks and put a shear on it the way they want it.That way everyone is happy

i went with just the montreal coating. cooked it at around 310 or so for about 2 hours using a chunk of cherry and a chunk of birch, pulled it when it hit 127 and let it rest for, oh, 20 minutes or so while i attended other things

smokystriproast.jpg

it was a tad more done than the rare I prefer, but the flavor and texture were quite good and it was uniformly cooked throughout. for 10 people it was much easier than trying to juggle 10 steaks!

(full post here.)

Back