Whole New York Strip -- any thoughts?

C. Moore

TVWBB Member
I have purchased a partial whole New York strip that weighs 7.5 lbs. I intend to cut it into steaks for a small group this weekend, but was wondering if anyone has ever cooked one whole (similar to a rib roast or a prime rib). Why don't we see more folks cooking it this way? I don't want to make an expensive mistake. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Charlie M. in Edisto, South Carolina

I've cooked them as a roast. Good stuff!

I saw something this past weekend that intrigued me at a restaurant: "Double grilled prime rib". They slow roasted the rib roast. Then, after slicing into thick steaks, grilled them over direct heat. A new twist on the reverse sear and one I'd like to try.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimK:
I've cooked them as a roast. Good stuff!

I saw something this past weekend that intrigued me at a restaurant: "Double grilled prime rib". They slow roasted the rib roast. Then, after slicing into thick steaks, grilled them over direct heat. A new twist on the reverse sear and one I'd like to try. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used to work at a steak house that did this. It was good, but it was basically a way to bring up the temperature without having to cook an entire roast. So basically, they could roast the prime rib to rare and if somebody wanted it medium, they could QUICKLY grill it up to medium instead of cooking the entire roast of to medium and being up a creek if they ran out of rare.

It was good but also just more efficient for the restaurant.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C. Moore:
Why don't we see more folks cooking it this way? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Because when it comes to quality beef roasts, most opt for a rib roast. I've done a few strips as roasts and they are IMO just as good. You don't have to over do the seasoning as they have plenty of good flavor. I pull at about 120-125 then rest tented. A little wood is all you need if any at all, whatever you like. I like to cook them rather slowly, about 250-300 to get as much rare/med rare from side to side as possible. Try it, you'll like it

Catering outfit I used to work for we did whole NY strips all the time. Rub with salt, pepper, and garlic powder the night before (don't be shy), put it on a rack that is on a sheet pan in the fridge unwrapped and leave it overnight.

Pull it out of the fridge about an hour before you smoke it to bring it up to room temp. a bit.

For the smoking I would suggest running your smoker around 225-250°, with a mix of mesquite and hickory. Take it till the internal temp hits 140° pull it off and let it rest.

If you wanted a crust on the outside, pull it off of the smoker at 120° and toss it onto a hot grill for a while to char the outside.

I was unfortunately on the wrong end of a grilled prime rib once. I ordered a rib eye and I know they must have been out and threw a hunk of prime rib one the grill. wasnt fooling me. I asked for medium rare and I get a grey steak with a slight sear. you could taste the heat lamp.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JIRodriguez:
Catering outfit I used to work for we did whole NY strips all the time. Rub with salt, pepper, and garlic powder the night before (don't be shy), put it on a rack that is on a sheet pan in the fridge unwrapped and leave it overnight.

Pull it out of the fridge about an hour before you smoke it to bring it up to room temp. a bit.

For the smoking I would suggest running your smoker around 225-250°, with a mix of mesquite and hickory. Take it till the internal temp hits 140° pull it off and let it rest.

If you wanted a crust on the outside, pull it off of the smoker at 120° and toss it onto a hot grill for a while to char the outside. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you remember how long that roughly took? I'm tempted to make this for a dinner party next month...

It really works out no better or worse than a rib roast. Only real difference is that you miss out on the well marbled outer ring that a rib roast has.

This one had a herb paste on it:
IMG_5184.JPG

IMG_5196.JPG

dear lord that looks incredible.

What is the name for that outer ring on a prime rib that is mouthwatering? I thought I heard one time it was the "tongue" but I dont think so. I would love to filet that off and roll it up into its own roast. and then I wouldnt tell anyone about it and eat it in private

do you need to tie it, j?

that looks simply divine, btw. how long/at what temp did you do that (and what was in that paste of heaven?)
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">do you need to tie it, j?

that looks simply divine, btw. how long/at what temp did you do that (and what was in that paste of heaven?) Smiler </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no, tying was kind of a waste. I was hoping to get it into a more tubular shape so it would cook more uniformly. It worked minimally.

I know I did it on the wsm, I cant recall if I used a water pan or not. I think it took a bit longer than I planned, maybe like 2 hours at around 300*.

I made this late summer, for a friday meal at a comp. Fresh herbs from the garden were still handy, so the paste consisted of everything I had growing: oregano, sage, thyme, rosemary, chives and lots of garlic, salt and pepper.

Thanks for sharing this. I was thinking of doing a rib roast for the Christmas, and I may do this instead just to save on cost and cut down a little on the fat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan Krause:
Thanks for sharing this. I was thinking of doing a rib roast for the Christmas, and I may do this instead just to save on cost and cut down a little on the fat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whole ny strips at Costco today were 4.49/lb

Proof there is a god.

Back