Whole Chicken?

Dave Mazz

TVWBB Super Fan
Went to three large grocery stores and one small independent over the weekend. No whole chickens at all. One of the large grocers said they get a few in early in the week, but they are gone before Friday. The small grocer said he's not been able to get whole chickens all summer. Had hoped to turn two on the rotisserie yesterday. What the heck is going on with chickens?

Our Costco was out too like two weeks ago and then they got the double packs back in, $0.99 a pound. They were quite good.

I still don't understand how Costco runs out of TP? They were devoid of Kirkland brand for like 4 days. What the heck are people doing?

It's called sheer stupidity and greed. And well I'm not gonna say because Chris will put me in political jail again :D

It's called sheer stupidity and greed. And well I'm not gonna say because Chris will put me in political jail again :D
I totally agree. Greed on the part of manufacturers, wholesalers, and retailers. Stupidity on the part of consumers.

I don't want to go to jail either but I have many reasons why these things are happening......I am reading a lot and very good at navigating that thing they call the internet, we will leave that there for sure though.
There was an article the other day about a chicken wing shortage here in Ontario.....it talked a lot about how many wings we import, how we were producing less chickens when the covid was starting to unfold compared to the demand now with restaurants all open and everyone wanting wings again and other bar type foods.....
P.S. they still only make chickens with 2 wings........

I seen farmers were being paid to destroy their crops and even heard but haven't read about destroying animals....
Something about too much food but apparently 1 in 4 kids goes hungry.
I don't have much ideas on this but apparently it is happening and if you do not comply the government stops with their assistance that apparently is required by all farmers.....They are supposedly being paid 1.5 times what the crop is worth...
Not sure....sounds made up to be honest.

We have a Safeway and a Walmart locally and I shopped at both last week. Safeway had legs, thighs and leg quarters on sale for $ .88/lb. They had an ample supply of each, but there were no whole birds or pre packaged breasts in the display cases. This, at ~8 AM the day their weekly ad came out. I asked the butcher, but he offered no answer. Walmart's meat cases, on the other hand, were well stocked with everything except bacon. Beef and pork prices were high, as expected, but chickens were about the same as they were months ago.
Under normal circumstances, low to normal prices and a shortage don't happen at the same time. This raises a red flag for me.
I generally shop sales for meat and we keep a couple of well stocked freezers so, short term, we won't see much change in our diet :cautious:

Apparently larger companies that have contracts signed will be the ones to have more availability on these shortage items.
Restaurants like big chains will always have their wings....ect....
Larger companies would be the ones who would also not run out of the same items for you to take home and cook yourself.
I don't know a lot about it, and the USA will play out much different than where I sit for sure.

It's called the big four in the US.
They got bailed out with the corvid, but still stick it to us, the consumer....
And they are getting investigated, so lets see what happens ( from a consumer standpoint)

Just at Sam's they had a sign out. "whole chicken purchase limited to one case of 24 per person". Not sure what I would do with 24 chickens LOL

No problem in MI with whole birds. Wings are another story. Kind of hit and miss. Went to Meijer yesterday and they only had small packs of fresh wings for about $8. Got a whole 6lb bird for the same cost.

Back