Whole Chicken - Crispy Skin?

Chuck_H

TVWBB Member
Does anyone have a good technique on getting crispy skin when grilling whole chickens. I usually use my performer, a ring of coals, charcoal rack over the coals, and beer can chicken rack placed in the center. I've rubbed the skin with olive oil and I've patted it dry with no oil and I just can't get the skin as good as I'd like. Any tips?

I've always struggled with this issue until recently. I made a homemade rub of equal parts kosher salt, coarse ground pepper, onion salt, granulate garlic and paprika just to try something a little simpler than all the commercial rubs I have on hand. I put it on some chicken halves and cooked as normal (325-375) and was pleasantly surprised by the crispy skin. I think it must be the high salt content. I did dry it off good and used peanut oil before applying the rub. I'm sure olive oil would work as well.

Boy , it sounds to me like you're doing everything right. How hot does your fire get on the performer? And how long does the bird take to get done? One thing you might try is spatchcocking the chicken. I know it cuts the cooking time for me on the WSM , get that fire good and hot and with the bird split in half maybe the skin will crisp up better....worth a try anyway.

The grill temp is usually between 350-400 and it's usually done in 45min to an hour. Trying a saltier rub as suggested above is a good idea I think and spatchcocking is a good suggestion as well. I've only been going with a light salt and pepper for a rub and tried that both with and without oil. I'm doing 2 for dinner tonight so maybe I'll try 2 different methods to see what comes out best.

Try a marinade using the Cornell recipe. (Oil, Vinegar, Egg, Seasoning, etc) It crisps up nice when cooking at 300*F+

I agree with all of the above. You might check your thermometer, 400 degrees vertical rack should do it.
Somewhere recently someone posted about spatchcocking chicken and cooking it at 500 degrees. Can't recall if it was here or on another site but they made the comment that it was the best roast chicken they ever had. Just an FYI.

I have done birds around 350 with awesome resaults. Normal rub,brushed with a butter/garlic/soy sauce. Next time the resaults is way under my expected resault. I know there is alot of fat under the skin...Witch can be scraped off to make the skin crispy(more of a comp thing..And wont help ya on a whole bird). Air dry it overnight in the fridge sure helps. If you dont have the time i have read bakingpowder will help aswell. I tryed the(emilies hair dryer) method with a decent resault. But i cant say its a must for me. I dont know the answer. Be sure to report back if you find THE way...

Somewhere recently someone posted about spatchcocking chicken and cooking it at 500 degrees. Can't recall if it was here or on another site but they made the comment that it was the best roast chicken they ever had. Just an FYI.

i can believe it. I did a whole chicken not too long ago all cut up and laid out on a sheet pan and baked at 450 in the oven and it was incredible. (Saw the technique on americas test kitchen on pbs).

Daniel is on the mark I think, your temps should give you good skin but if the skin is still moist internally it will not be as good. I always brine my chicken now, the taste and juiciness is just superb. I then let it sit in the fridge uncovered after drying it off good with paper towels at least all day and try for overnight

As always some great advice so thank you everyone. I had not come across the cornell recipe previously but gave that a try and it's exactly the type of skin I was looking for. I think spatchcocking helped by charring the skin on the grate vs the beer can rack that I am used to using. I think I'm going to try the suggestion of baking powder rub and higher temps 400-500 next time to see how that works

Crackling crisp skin can be obtained on a gasser. I prefer the meat from my charcoal rotisserie cooks, but the skin is best on my beer can chicken on the gasser.

I cook the bird with indirect but high heat. Turn it every 10-15 minutes or so. Comes out great every time.

The grill temp is usually between 350-400 and it's usually done in 45min to an hour. Trying a saltier rub as suggested above is a good idea I think and spatchcocking is a good suggestion as well. I've only been going with a light salt and pepper for a rub and tried that both with and without oil. I'm doing 2 for dinner tonight so maybe I'll try 2 different methods to see what comes out best.
That's your problem right there.
Think lower and slower.

I just did a whole chicken the other day.
I ran about 300 +/- for about 4 hours.
Used McCormick's Montreal Chicken Seasoning on a recommendation for the rub and it was some of the best roasted chicken I ever had. This chicken was fresh and moist so I did not use an oil to hold the rub.

McCormick's Steak Seasoning has been a staple around here and now their Chicken Seasoning has a special place in the pantry.

That's your problem right there.
Think lower and slower.

I just did a whole chicken the other day.
I ran about 300 +/- for about 4 hours..

?? That must've been a big bird, but it's funny how what works for some doesn't work for others. I don't think I've ever had crispy chicken skin cooking at only 300. At least on the breast and thighs, it's usually rather tight, dry, and leathery, coming off with one bite. That's why I like to cook slow on the wsm for tender, or 350+ on the grill for crispy...Cornell style or smoking in pans being a different story.

I agree with all of the above. You might check your thermometer, 400 degrees vertical rack should do it.

...well I tried it and it works but I did not use a kettle. 35 minutes, it was cooked.

Back