Whole Briskets

D Brazil

TVWBB Member
I have read a lot about Burnt ends lately and am anxious to try my hand at them. I've smoked a few briskets (flats only) and have eyed up some whole briskets to try the burnt ends. Every thing I've read indicates the point is cut-off the flat after it is smoked and then the point is put back on the smoker for a few hours more. My concern is the whole briskets look like they are longer then my 22.5 will fit without cutting the point off before I start smoking. Is it acceptable and to do this and do I need to do something special if I must cut-off the point before I start? My thought is to buy 2 wholes and cut the points off and smoke all at once. After the flats are done, leave the points on longer. I also thought maybe I should take the points off with the flats and mop and rerub the points and throw them back on ???

:confused: I've squeezed or folded packers up to about 15lbs on my little 18.5" bullet, and have never seen a brisket that I couldn't squeeze between the handles of my 22.5" grate. Actually, my old UDS used the same grates as the 22.5" bullet and I've smoked two to a grate before if they were no more than 12 lbs or so. You've got the BIG BULLET, so smoking whole packer briskets is NO PROBLEM.

Well that's certainly good news Dave. I was concerned about the "Hot" area between the grate and the inside wall of the smoker more than anything. I'm assuming there are not parts of the brisket that are getting burned-up? In other words if I can close the lid I'm good to go?

Your concern is warranted, but you still ought to have plenty of room. Keep the end of the flat away from the hot zone, but the point end will be fine if close to the cooker wall.

Back