whole brisket or flat

paul js

I have q-ed about 6 whole briskets up to this point. From the start whole seemed to me the way to go. They are a bit hard to find sometimes in my area but I make them when I can find them. I was at Costo the other day and they had large flats for sale. Just the previous day I had made a whole brisket and after trimming the really fatty spots from the point, began to wonder is the point really worth it? I think I am going to try one of those largre flats from Costco next time and compare the final yield.

From other posts seems like most prefer one cut or the other. Does anybody switch between the 2 and why?

If i can find flats at a good price i will cook them since we don't like the point meat (it's a texture thing with us). But i can get packers for $1.28 lb at my normal Super Wal Mart so it makes sense to but them instead of paying $3.29 lb for flats at BJ'S. I just found a Super Wal Mart that i usually don't go to that had nice flats for $2.56 lb. That works out about the same as buying the packer and not using the point and all the waste from trimming the fat cap up. I prefer to cook flats.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul js:
I have q-ed about 6 whole briskets up to this point. From the start whole seemed to me the way to go. They are a bit hard to find sometimes in my area but I make them when I can find them. I was at Costo the other day and they had large flats for sale. Just the previous day I had made a whole brisket and after trimming the really fatty spots from the point, began to wonder is the point really worth it? I think I am going to try one of those largre flats from Costco next time and compare the final yield.

From other posts seems like most prefer one cut or the other. Does anybody switch between the 2 and why? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul... I have two words for you...

Burnt Ends
icon_smile.gif

Cook the whole brisket as you normally would, and when the flat is done, pull it, and cut off the point, and return the point to the cooker for a couple of hours. Then, take the point and cut it into cubes (3/4 inch or so), cover in sauce, and enjoy!

I agree that it is hard to find whole briskets in our area. The Super Walmarts that carry meat usually have them. unfortunately, I don't know of a Super Wally that is reasonable close.

Is there a Super Wal Mart by you in Batavia? That's not all that far from me, in fact I was in Batavia yesterday!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul js:
Is there a Super Wal Mart by you in Batavia? That's not all that far from me, in fact I was in Batavia yesterday! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Store Locator

Nope... they are building a Walmart at the corner of Fabyan and Randall, but i don't think its going to be a Supercenter. The closest Supercenters are in Dekalb or Plano. There is one is Morris as well.

I've had some trouble getting whole briskets in my area too. Finally found a meat supplier that'll sell them to me. They're about 1/3 the cost of a flat. I definately fell they could better than a flat.

As for waste - Ron had it right. Return the point to the cooker for around 4 hours. Remove and cut into cubes and mix with BBQ sauce. It is FANATSTIC! My family seems to enjoy that more than the sliced brisket.

My local Sams only carries flats. I have asked about whole packers but they don't seem to want to order them.

We got a superwally a couple of years ago but they don't carry brisket. We got another that opened this spring that I have only been to a couple of times. I have not seen brisket there either. Believe it or not I went into the new one Saturday and They had full packers out marked down $1.79 LB from $2.56 LB because the sell by date was Sunday. I bought them both. One I just put on the wsm the other goes to a friend of mine.

Back