Who Has Gas Assist But Chooses to Use Another Method to Light Coal (and why)?

People down south don't even know/care what a Yankee is. That bugs me. Yankees are from New England. I could see including parts of New York, but New Jersey is certainly not Yankee.

Let’s not be too hasty here. Maybe we should ask him who won the civil war. If he says the north, by all means, he’s in. But if he says “I’ll let you know when it’s actually over”, we may want to reconsider things.
Sounds like you are quite familiar with PA lol

People down south don't even know/care what a Yankee is. That bugs me. Yankees are from New England. I could see including parts of New York, but New Jersey is certainly not Yankee.
People north of the Mason-Dixon line who sound like Yankees, think like Yankees, and look like Yankees are definitely Yankees. If you are from NJ, I'm not saying you're a Yankee but (geographically) you are certainly a Yankee. Just saying... It's pretty easy for someone in the south to readily detect a Yankee. We in the south warmly welcome all kinds of folks even including good Yankees, like you. LOL!

Last edited:
I find that gas assist + weber chimney + lump charcoal = fast start and very little/almost zero dirty smoke. Lump can be ready to grill on in under 10 minutes, and I don't have to shut all the windows before lighting the charcoal.

I've tried news paper, lighter fluid etc but those methods are inconvenient and create huge plumes of stinky smoke. In urban areas, you end up smoking up your own house and also the neighbor's houses. Using these methods, I would end up spending extra time running around to shutting all windows before starting the charcoal.

I use the gas assist because --- I can! Its easy enough to place the baskets over the starter - and it was MEANT for a vortex - too easy! I haven't actually used the chimney to start the kettle yet.... When I scored my Performa it came with the hose and a (full) 20# tank! The tank got used on the gassers.... I was able to score three 1# refilled bottles (2/3+ full) off of CL for free --- so I'm good for a while. I do have a 10# that would be perfect for it, but I haven't gotten around to getting it filled yet. Yeah - its silly to pay $7+ for 1# bottles when you can fill a 20# for under $20 --- the hardware store had specials on Memorial Day and the Fourth $10 flat fee to fill 20#ers - I'm sitting with three full tanks right now... Once the 1#ers run out - I'll consider buying the bottle filler valve/connector to fill from 20# bottles or get the 10# filled ---- it doesn't even need to be filled - one gallon of propane for $4 would last a hell of a long time.

I haven't tried lighting a chimney yet over the gas assist.... my thought was that there is too much room between the flames and the rack in the chimney..... Does it work ok? I'll probably be trying it soon to see.... Honestly, I have no problem using newspaper to tight the chimney myself.

Last edited:

There is a part of NJ that falls below the Mason-Dixon line . . .

The gas assist is a great idea, and I see why people like it. I have one of those propane torch things with the long extension. People use them to burn weeds. I use that almost exclusively to light charcoal whether in a pile or even in a starter cannister. I guess it takes a few more minutes of direct effort, but I don't mind.

I recently picked up a keeper SSP that has gas assist but needs a 5lb tank and a new igniter. I probably won't bother with doing any of that. I wanted the SSP for the classic Weber style (reminds me of the early Genesis gas grills) and mainly for that stainless table.

Back