"White" Chicken Chili ?

D Larsen

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello, All !

I like beans in my chili (so I'm not a "purist"), but when I do "red" or "green" chili, I HATE kidney beans ! Something about my childhood, and the skins....I usually use Great Northern or Cannellini white beans....

Recently, I've been enjoying the "white chili" made with chicken in places like Ruby Tuesday's (don't flame me !) Whenever I do chix or turkey on my WSM, I always have "left-overs", so it occurred to me that some "white chili" would be a good use of 'em...

Anybody have a killer recipe for White (Smoked) Chicken/Turkey Chili they'd care to share ? I know there are tons on the web, but I'd like to see if you all have any recommendations
icon_smile.gif

Thanks !

Dean...

hey D.L. i'de love to share one with you. I can't credit myself with this unless its messed around w/ (like using leftover bbq, or changing ingridients, etc.) and has been passed around my family a while now. I'de love to credit the book or person it came from but all I know is its probably kinda old! I prefer chicken, and I, myself, love to mess this around sometimes, although the original makes damn good bowl. here you go, .... i bet you'll like it.

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 med. white onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp. garlic pwdr.
1 Tblsp. veg. oil
2 cans (15 1/2 oz.) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) chicken broth
2 cans (4 oz. ea)chopped green chilis or equivelent of whatever chili's you like
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (i like chipolte.... dont know why)
1 cup (8 oz) sour cream
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

in a pot saute chicken, onion, and garlic powder in oil till chicken is no longer pink, but don't over do it. Add the beans, broth, chilies, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, few minutes.. reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, for about... I think 30 or 40 minutes... (? sorry) and remove. Stir in sour cream and Heavy Whipping Cream off the heat. eat it.. serves one of me, or 6 or 7 "regular hungry" people.

Hope you like this dude, I do. enjoy and let me know
icon_biggrin.gif

edit.. if you smoke a chicken, you would be on your way to your requested, "smoked chicken chili" once i stuck the whole thing in the cooker for a couple three hours. I don't know why but it didn't really work. I may try this again sometime though... it may have needed more time but im no pro.

Thanks much, Dan ! Your recipe sounds great, although rich !

Just to make sure I understand : You make it with "raw" chicken, not leftover smoked or "beer can" ? That's cool...just want to make sure I got it right ! I have no prejudice for "smoked" chicken....just looking for a way to use leftovers from the WSM !

You made me LOL about the "serving size" ! You're my kinda guy !

Will try it out and let you know what we think !

Thanks again !

Dean...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Larsen:
I have no prejudice for "smoked" chicken....just looking for a way to use leftovers from the WSM ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dean, you can subsitute WSM chicken for the raw no problem. Use what you have on hand, and like. You would just leave out the chicken in the first part. Once the onion is clear/tender, add the smoked chicken and follow the recipe.
icon_wink.gif

Thanks, Bryan !

I usually use the left-over chicken carcass to make "stock", whether it be a WSM chix or an oven-done (or even a store-bought cooked one !) In cold weather, I'll do a noodle soup right away, but during these months, I separate the stock, and pick out the chix meat. Mostly, it's "shreds", so I'll use it with fried rice or toss it into a batch of Ichiban
icon_smile.gif
I was thinking....throw the "shreds" into a pot of white beans and chili spices ! This MAY also be a "cold weather" dish, but I like chili any time of the year ! I'll try Dan's idea and just throw in the shreds, late in the cooking....all they are doing is reheating !

Dean...

ya raw chicken is original recipie, thats my girls prefference. I tried grilled leftover chicken before also and just did as Bryan suggests, and cooked onion till tender. hope it suits you. if not i'll bet theres others around, I looked on the web also and your correct lots out there that are all fairly close ingredient wise. I think you'll find this smoother then it sounds. Perfect for when its cold outside and your hungry as hell, and easy for a large number of guests also. have a good one.

Back