Whiskey and Ribs

Andy_E

TVWBB Member
Doing a rib smoke this weekend. Was curious, I've seen where you can apply some mustard then apply the rub so it sticks better. I was wondering if instead of mustard you use some whiskey, let it dry and get a little sticky and apply the rub. Would that be worth it? Would it add some crust to it? Just curious, because it sounds like it could be delicious but I'm no chef
icon_wink.gif

I have marinated with a Bourbon or Beer concoction before for a few hours and I like the taste. However, dousing it with alcohol before you cook likely won't have much of an effect. As soon as you put the meat over heat it will likely evaporate quite quickly without leaving much flavor.

You might be better off with your mustard slather, if you've liked the results thus far. I've heard of others using olive oil/vegetable oil which has a higher viscosity and likely will act quite similar to mustard.

What has helped me the most with bark is applying a fairly good amount of rub to my meat.

alcohol will denature protein (read: cook). I suggest boiling it first to drive off the alcohol and concentrate some of the flavor.

If I'm trying to add a flavor to my profile, I always take a step back and decide where in my protocol that flavor will work best. Generally, I like to avoid adding flavors in early in the process due to the fact that heat tends to destroys certain flavors. I'd think I'd work a whiskey flavor in a sauce or glaze.

As for the mustard, IMO skip it. It may help rub stick but I find it makes a major mess when it comes time to transfer the meat to the wsm. And mustard is a flavor that gets killed by heat, so it doesn't add anything flavor-wise.

For helping rub stick, follow Kevin's protocol of omitting salt from your rub. Salt first, allow moisture to come to the surface and add your rub over that.

Did somebody say Ribs and Whiskey?

Ribs and Whiskey (WSP)

Well I seen your sister naked
Ain't nothing I tried to see
I seen your sister by the pool there
Nothing I tried to see

Well I hope it's not huntin' day
Hope it's not your daddy's shootin' day

Well, ribs and whiskey making my mind feel tight
Whiskey, making my mind (body) feel hot
If you won't be my love
I'm gonna find me a new place to spend my night

Well I seen your sister naked
Ain't nothing I tried to see
I seen your sister by the pool there
Nothing I tried to see

Well I hope it's not huntin' day
Hope it's not your daddy's shootin' day

Well, ribs and whiskey making my mind feel tight
Whiskey, making my mind (body) feel hot
If you won't be my love
I'm gonna find me a new place to spend my night

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
For helping rub stick, follow Kevin's protocol of omitting salt from your rub. Salt first, allow moisture to come to the surface and add your rub over that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks I like that suggestion. The whiskey was just a curious idea. How far ahead of time do you typically salt the meat before applying rub and moving to cooker?

whiskey is most effectinely used to marinate the cook.

"whiskey and ribs".... sounds like a lynyrd skynyrd album.....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JeffS:
whiskey is most effectinely used to marinate the cook.

"whiskey and ribs".... sounds like a lynyrd skynyrd album..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Widespread Panic.

Last cook I used some 12 Year Old lightly-peated Ardbeg instead of apple juice in the foil. Turned out OK, but I don't think I'd want to do that again. IMHO, the best use for whisky in barbecue is to drink it while smokin' a nice cigar as the Q's cooking.

I always slather mine with cheap spicy mustard the taste goes away and it makes the rub your using stick vwry well and makes for GREAT bark as long as you apply the rub heavy thou Iam sure some a diagree ! But I do get some really really nice bark this way .

Whiskey is for drinking but ymmv
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PeterD:
Last cook I used some 12 Year Old lightly-peated Ardbeg instead of apple juice in the foil. Turned out OK, but I don't think I'd want to do that again. IMHO, the best use for whisky in barbecue is to drink it while smokin' a nice cigar as the Q's cooking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>"Lightly peated Ardbeg."? Lightly peated as oppose to what? I love Ardbeg, but would nevr consider it lightly peated. Maybe you're used to the Peat Monster?

Welllll, I almost always spray my rubs and pork with a mix of apple juice and Jack Daniels. I'm not even sure it does a lot, but I like doing it, and it's a bit of a signature. Anyway, it's my thang.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thanks I like that suggestion. The whiskey was just a curious idea. How far ahead of time do you typically salt the meat before applying rub and moving to cooker? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and its a good idea. try it and be critical, and make a decision on whether it added anything to the final profile.

I don't exclude salt from rubs, but I imagine that within minutes of salting, moisture will form on the surface. I believe Kevin completes his process (start to finish) while his minion starts.

I've been know to rub once at night and again in the morning when the meat goes on the smoker. If you want a heavy layer of rub, apply it and wait for it to darken and look wet. You can apply more rub and it'll stick.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cris:]"Lightly peated Ardbeg."? Lightly peated as oppose to what? I love Ardbeg, but would nevr consider it lightly peated. Maybe you're used to the Peat Monster? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was a gifted bottle of Connoiseur's Choice from the U.K. There's actually an Ardbeg distillery bottling called Blasda that's got almost no peat whatsoever. Yecch. And yes, I do prefer Ardbeg's heavily-peated Supernova, as well as Corryvreckan and Uigeadail. Their smokiness just doesn't go all that well with the smokiness of Q. The tastes clash more than compliment each other.

Back