Which Wire Cups Work Best?

It is drill based, so you won't get the power and RPMs of a grinder. I am sure they will help, but I doubt you can get really burnt on stuff off with those. I don't see that it would hurt to try, though. I am sure those bristles will fly off, so be safe. At least they aren't metal wires aiming for you!

Those will do enough to get loose stuff off. If you want bare metal have the parts sand blasted.

Wear PPE. Dust and flying debris are dangerous
Let me emphasize this! I've pulled broken-off pieces of cup wire out of my leg before. You can't feel them when they penetrate but later on you will feel a lump/hard spot where the wire is. STAY OUT OF THE PATH OF THE WIRE WHEEL!

Arms and legs. Probably should make sure your tetanus shots are up to date if you use an angle grinder and wire cup brush on anything.

Safety glasses AND face shield! I had eye surgery to remove a piece of steel from a bench grinder. You do not want one of those wires stuck in your eye or face.

The drill wheels are slower but you can remove quite a bit of crud with them. Not nearly as effective as an angle grinder cup brush though.

Safety glasses AND face shield! I had eye surgery to remove a piece of steel from a bench grinder. You do not want one of those wires stuck in your eye or face.
Me, too, but mine was from pulling nails out of a pallet...flipped up and hit me in the eye. Driving 35 miles to get home with the dominant eye all bandaged up was the thing that convinced me that I needed corrective lenses.

Let me emphasize this! I've pulled broken-off pieces of cup wire out of my leg before. You can't feel them when they penetrate but later on you will feel a lump/hard spot where the wire is. STAY OUT OF THE PATH OF THE WIRE WHEEL!

This is good advice, but I'd extend it to "stay out of the plane of any rotating wheel type tool." Wire wheels. Grinding discs. ESPECIALLY cutting discs. Shoot, even sanding wheels can come apart. Table saw blades. I really need to get in the habit of both safety glasses and a face shield.

I was running an OD grinder at a job and I had just finished a setup and looked down and I could see a crack running across the face of the grinding wheel. It's a 14" grinding wheel with a 2" face, several hundred dollars worth, but it becomes a grenade when it comes apart. Stand to the side whenever you start a bench grinder.

I had planned on using these on the inside of a cook box on an older Genesis.
Hi Kelly, I like the drill wire brushes for inside the firebox and a pass over the burner tubes. Good enough for me as I am not that excited about bare metal. I also uses a plastic abrasive wheel that removes looses stuff.

Back