Which to keep?

Brian Lieder

TVWBB Member
Hi all, first time post long time Weber lover

Trying to decide if the older grills (1980's genesis with 13 flavor bars) are better than the newer (1990's genesis gold with 5 flavor bars)? there are two i am deciding between- my current 1985 genesis 2000 3 burner (13 bars) that will be fully upgraded to stainless, or a 1995 Genesis gold (5 bars) thats for sale near me. Ive searched here and not really gotten an answer... but i feel as though the older 13 bar design might be better for even heat, but seems to take longer to heat up.

please help me choose the right one, ill feel terrible if i sell mine and wish i kept it!

I'd keep the 1985 model, especially if you can refurb it back up to perfect condition.

I have a Silver B and a Genesis 3000, and I like the 3000 more. Not only does it have the 13 flavorizer bars, but also I believe I can cook in a better heat range. The Silver B gets HOT while I can control the cook more in the 3000.

Those are my two cents, I'm sure others will help you!

Slainte!

Tim

I had both at the same time a few years ago. The 1000LX I bought new in 1999 and the Silver B about 2002. I still have the 1000LX and not the Silver B. Biggest problem I had with the B was flare ups you had to watch it closely. The 1000LX was a lot more stable with out any flare ups and with the deeper box if you did get any flare ups the were far enough down not to do any damage.
I would keep the early genesis you won't regret it.

Just wanted to chime in since it's relevant that my Silver C has the occasional flare-up issues and you have to really stay on top of it. I'm told Silver B/C are notorious for this and get very hot, very fast. Not sure if design-flaw or what. My FIL has a 90's Genesis redhead 3-burner with side-burner and his is the exact opposite in behavior. Takes a bit to heat up, but very easy to control the temp. Weird.

You guys have confirmed my exact thoughts, thank you for that.

I also recently rehabbed a 2010 model weber spirit and was VERY dissapointed in the quality. Seemed like a cheaply made grill, and not what i expect from Weber. Then i grilled on it, and the heat was all over the place. lots of flare ups and hot toward the back even after cleaning the tubes and seeing a nice even flame. It wasnt even a contender against my old grill. I thought that maybe a 1990's grill would be better, and it may be, but i think ill still prefer my old red.

Thanks!

Back