Which Thermopen to buy?

Skip Dup

I plan on buying a Thermopen, based on the recommendation on this (fantastic) site.

However, I don't know if I should buy the normal model or the "High Accuracy" model. Can anyone advise?

Also, anyone have experience with the new "plug mount" model? Seems like a neat feature (being able to swap tips for different applications), but more expensive for an already expensive device.

Thanks!
Skip

I bought the original High Accuracy model when they had a screw-up and were overstocked on this less popular model. The price was right, and it responds with near-regular Thermapen speed. In retrospect, I would rather have the Super-Fast than the tenth-degree precision (which also comes at a cost-- the range is not nearly as wide).

I have a plug-mount 3 (plus a couple Super-Fasts) with a needle probe, a surface probe, an air/gas probe and a penetration probe. I use it mostly for things other than barbecue. The Super I use the most.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
I have a plug-mount 3 (plus a couple Super-Fasts) with a needle probe, a surface probe, an air/gas probe and a penetration probe. I use it mostly for things other than barbecue. The Super I use the most.

Kevin, does the "plug-mount" respond as quickly? I have the ability to make my own T.C.'s and was considering that one.

Yes, the response time is quick. It seems slightly (relatively) slower than the Super-Fast but it is quick.

Back