Which performer should i get?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
I am going to look on craigslist to see what performers i might run into as i cinsider upgrading my current platnium, the one that looks like the performer but wo the gas assist or bin.

Anyway, ive now realized there are more variations of the oerformer than originally anticipated. Ive seen the model with the stainless steel side table, a version with a small clock on the right side of the table, one that looks like the unit w the clock, but there is no clock, just the ignitor,etc. there may be more, but if um looking st used models, is one favored over the other or should i just focus on the newest perf deluxe and consider it the best?

It kinda depends on what you want to spend.
This will give you an idea of the different models over the years: http://weberkettleclub.com/grills/weber-performer-history/
I'm sure prices vary by location.
You might watch CL for a while to get a feel for your area.
The ones that are sold instantly are priced low or right.
The ones that take forever to sell are overpriced or of poor quality.

Robert, that was very helpful, thank you. Found it interesting as it explained the evolution of the grill, something i could see with the variations of the differemt models but this made it clear as to when and what. While the gen 4 sounds like the best, i may keep an eye open for a nice gen 4

David, in the past year i have bought and sold quite a few performers on craigslist so i am very familiar with them.

The link Robert shared above http://weberkettleclub.com/grills/weber-performer-history/ is a great guide.

The Gen 1 stainless performers were very unique and are beloved by many.
The Gas Assist versions of Gen 2 (2005-09) and Gen 3 (2010-2014) performers are very similar to each other with minor mostly cosmetic changes. Gen 2-4 are taller then Gen 1.
There were non gas assist models made during Generation 1 years (1990-2004) and the Gen 3 and 4 years (2010-present). There may have been a non gas assist model from 2005-09 but i'm not aware of it. I think they One Touch Platinum you have, served as the non gas assist option for those years but i'm not positive.

They made some more significant functional changes to the 2015 Generation 4 models: metal table, larger lid bale, gourmet grate.

I have a gen 2 2009 gas assist and a 2011 gas assist gen3 very little difference between them.

I have a Gen 2 and have loved it for 7 years now. Best grill I've ever owned and it will probably last at least another 10 years or more. I wouldn't hesitate buying any performer if the price was right.

Thanks for all the feedback. It will be hard for me to give up my platinum since I ngot it new in 2000, so 15 years of weekly use so I'm attached to it. In fact, I have 2 and they are identical. I got the second one for 35$ on Craigslist and put it at my hunting lease where it gets a lot of use but I have a desire to update if the price is right. The platniims regularly sell for 75-100 depending on condition so for another 100-150 I bet I can find a newer gen. Fortunately, I can bet patient bc I'm now up to 9 grills after picking up 2 this morning from target Actually, I did convert one kettle into a small fire pit at camp by shortening the legs so I guess it doesn't fully count.

I picked up a used SS performer for $50 off my local craigslist. I wanted that particular model, since I wanted the metal table and square tube frame (the table for being able to put hot items on the table without damage, and the square tube frame for a couple of mods I plan to do).

Back