which one

Brinkman charcoal pan filled with water for low and slow bbq cook.

Same pan foiled over for when I don't care how hot it goes.

Foiled clay pot base on the empty pan but I have a question. Wouldn't you use less fuel and still get a stable temperature with just a foiled water pan. My thought is because there is no clay base for the coals to waste its energy heating it would save on coals and the empty water pan will only get to a maximum temperature and stay there plus the pan has less mass to heat than the clay base.

Originally posted by Dave L.:
Foiled clay pot base on the empty pan but I have a question. Wouldn't you use less fuel and still get a stable temperature with just a foiled water pan. My thought is because there is no clay base for the coals to waste its energy heating it would save on coals and the empty water pan will only get to a maximum temperature and stay there plus the pan has less mass to heat than the clay base.
Yes.

As I understand it, the main purpose of the clay saucer is to provide a thermal mass to even out the radiant heat eliminating hot spots and, if the temps begin to fall, give off its stored heat to slow the fall.

If these aren't issues for you then you don't really need a clay saucer.

But I wouldn't expect a big savings on fuel.

no pan at all is the best way to go, great temp control, less fuel useage, easy to add fuel if needed which i doubt u will, no mess to clean up, great flavor with grease falling on coals

Noe,doesn't the direct heat coming from the coals affect the bottom of whatever your cooking. I would think the meat would burn on the bottom.

Sand in a standard Weber pan covered with foil if only using the top grate...

if using the bottom grate too, Brinkman pan filled with water.

Clay saucer that barely fits down inside the standard WSM water pan. Foil on outside of pan,and over top of saucer. Works great. Don't know why I waited so long to try it.

I was using water. Tried the clay saucer and like that better. Less fuel used and temp easier to maintain, IMO.

That is a fact! Started with water then clay and now just a foiled pan. However if your going to be in and out of the wsm for basting or whatever I would use the clay so your fire doesn't run away!

Well it took me a while to get brave enough to try the foiled clay saucer in a foiled WSM waterpan. I've only done two cooks so far, a brisket and 14 slabs of baby backs but I think I'm hooked on it too. The main reason was I hated the messy clean up of the water pan. First cook in my WSM I unwittingly tossed the water out in the grass. Killed the grass. Yikes. So then I was always taking it and dumping it in the storm drain. I have no complaints yet about the clay saucer method. I'm glad that I actually got around to trying it.

I just use an empty, foiled water pan. My temperatures are rock solid, so I don't see any need to change.

-Mark.

What is the reason for not using water? Doesn't it keep the food moist? Is it for regulating heat? I want constant 275° for butt and ribs. I usually mop.. Help!? WSM on the way!

Originally posted by Glenn Lyman:
What is the reason for not using water? Doesn't it keep the food moist? Is it for regulating heat? I want constant 275° for butt and ribs. I usually mop.. Help!? WSM on the way!

I think most agree that the water does nothing to affect the moistness of the meat. It does provide a dampening effect on temperature swings, but on the other hand (1) you waste fuel heating and boiling away the water, and (2) if the pan boils dry you will get a big temperature spike (which shows you how much of your fuel was actually going to boiling the water). You can control the cooking temperature without the water (or any other heat sink, really) by careful control of the vents and thus reduce your fuel consumption. Use water, if you want, while learning to use your WSM. Then, try one of the waterless approaches (foiled empty pan doesn't require you to buy any extra stuff) on a day when you can watch the WSM and see how it runs. (Make small vent adjustments and give it time to see the effect; if you start chasing the temperature you can end up in a yo-yo situation that will ruin your mood). You may find you like using less fuel, and not having to dispose of greasy water when you're finished.
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks all! What is a clay saucer? Peidmont? Minion method sounds good but worried about unlit charcoal taste (I'm sure I'm not the first to question it!)

1 - The clay saucer is the base to a clay pot for plants.

2 - Peidmont is 2 water pans, one inside the other with an air gap.

3 - No worries about "unlit charcoal taste". I don't notice any at all. Obviously, since Championships have been won using the Minion Method, there's no discernable effects.

Great input. Thanks! I was thinking about a porcelean enamled cast iron pot to put in the pan with water. the iron would hold the heat really well with or w/o water.hmmmm Also thinking about a fan and stoker control.

I've tried ALL the methods for the Bullet heat regulation...no water in use the past 5 years...it just rusts the interior parts. The 18" Bullet has the Brinkmann/Piedmont set-up wrapped in foil for clean up purposes...quite fool proof The 22" uses the water pan (empty)wrapped in foil, or with a clay saucer in the pan. Lots of ways to do it, but avoid the H20.

Stock pan, no water, foiled with a little air space between foil and bottom of pan.

No problem holding temps or bumping up temps if needed.

I would try this first, if problem holding temps go to a clay saucer.

John

Back