Which one?

Al S.

Doing my first butt on my wsm22.5, probably a 12 hour smoke. Which coal would be better, Kingsford blue bag, or Competition?

I like the blue too, it is all I use in my mini for smoking. I go with Royal Oak or Publix brand lump charcoal for all my grilling for the higher heat, but with a low and slow long smoke session the briquettes are nice and really consistent. The Competition briquettes are made for higher heat I think, which is almost a bad thing for smoking so yeah, blue bag for the win!!!

I started using K-Comp a couple months ago and it's now all I will use in my WSM. Initially I was having issues with high heat, but I think that was due more to the fact my smoker was new and hadn't yet built up that good gunky inside. Now that I've done a dozen plus jobs, no problems with temps while using the K-Comp.

What first drew me to using it was the fact that it doesn't produce as much ash-- I was going to be doing a 12+ hour smoke and didn't want to have to worry about ash choking the fire out. At the same time, although it wasn't a big deal to me, I did like it that the K-Comp was all natural.

It's interesting-- I just started using some KBB (on my Performer) for the first time since I bought a bag of it with my WSM in March, and I notice that I don't seem to care much for the smell of burning KBB when compared to the smell of burning K-Comp.

Thanks to everyone for your advice! KBB it is. Started the smoke at 2 am, going well; good steady temps all night, tbs with apple chunks. Should be good to go in a few more hours. I love my WSM, It's almost set & forget!

Al

Back