Which Chimney for a Jumbo Joe?

ChrisV

TVWBB Fan
Well I don't have one for my self yet but I just picked up a Jumbo Joe to give as a gift (Walmart has them on-sale (clearance?) for $45) and I want to add a Weber Chimney along with it but I'm not sure which one is better suited for the Jumbo Joe?

I'm thinking the mini because it could be kept in the JJ for easier storage and travel but I'm not sure the mini will hold enough coals for the JJ? The standard size chimney may actually be too big but I thinking its probably better to be too big (and not fill it up) rather then not being big enough?

Well.... I'd say the large one. The JJ is an 18" grill & if used as such will require more briquettes than the mini can supply.

I use this as my chimney which I have seen online, maybe on this forum:
Ikea Ordning utensil holder
I have used a full chimney full to indirect cook a Tri Tip or direct cook 8 sliders. The JJ doesn't need much fuel since the grates sit closely to the coals.

Would love to see what a mini chimney starter looks like in person. I bet that would be more than enough fuel to lay out a layer under the grate for direct grilling.

Good luck shopping and let us know what you get.

Well.... I'd say the large one. The JJ is an 18" grill & if used as such will require more briquettes than the mini can supply.
I was somewhat thinking that too but Weber seems to recommend the mini for the JJ? As Walt points out, the coals sit closer to the grate on the JJ (which I think is one of it's best features). The person I'm giving this to will mostly do direct HH grilling so I'm thinking the mini is the way to go.

I think I may have been wrong about being able to store the mini in the JJ? I thought I'd seen some pics of people who had done it before but the only pic I could find now shows that it doesn't fit. Oh well, that would have been nice but not a deal breaker.

I use a not weber chimney that is not a big as the standard but bigger than the mini for my SJP (old JJ). The old SJP is a little deeper so the mini doesn't provide enough for direct cooks. Might try another brand of chimney?

Well as an update for anybody who may be interested...

I picked up a Weber Mini Chimney and gave the new JJ a try. The new JJ's IMO are worth all the praise they get! If I had I bought this one first, I probably wouldn't own either the SJS or Performer grills that I have now. The JJ is about perfect for my current needs. I'm hoping Target puts them on clearance again this year so I can get one of my own!

At first look, the Mini chimney seemed like it might be bit too small? A full mini holds ~40 standard KBB which is enough to fill one weber charcoal basket but if spread out over the JJ's coal grate, it does not cover the whole grate. The thing is, because of the JJ's shallower bowl, it works fine for direct HH cooking. For me, I usually like to create a 2 zone fire anyway, even when doing burgers and the like and the mini holds enough coals to do this well on the JJ.

I also found that you can store the mini in the JJ. Pull both the cooking and charcoal grates out of the JJ, insert the mini then the cooking grate and then lay the charcoal grate on top of it and close it up. No problem. Add a Weber portable tool set and mini grill brush and you would have a very nice, compact portable setup that can easily handle a full meal for 2 or enough burgers and dogs for 4-6 people at least.

Back