Where's everyone from?

I grew up in Statesville. When I was a kid, like 10ish we had a weekend trip to the mountains and had bbq at some little restaurant somewhere. I still have dreams about that plate of pulled pork from the Smokey’s. I’ve been halfway around the world and back, but that was one of the most amazing things I’ve ate to this day.
I have family in hickory. I remember a great bbq place here many years ago. Unfortunately, the owner passed away and the sons couldn't keep it the same. This area has changed in bbq. Eastern NC bbq with vinegar has about taken over. I am not a fan of vinegar, prefer the tomato based like it was.

I have family in hickory. I remember a great bbq place here many years ago. Unfortunately, the owner passed away and the sons couldn't keep it the same. This area has changed in bbq. Eastern NC bbq with vinegar has about taken over. I am not a fan of vinegar, prefer the tomato based like it was.
Every week I drive through Statesville and Hickory to visit my mother. My first job after college was in Hickory. But I know practically nothing about bbq in the area now.

Every week I drive through Statesville and Hickory to visit my mother. My first job after college was in Hickory. But I know practically nothing about bbq in the area now.
My family is a big fan of the Randy’s in Troutman, and they just recently went into the old Carolina BBQ in downtown. The Randy’s family are great people, but I’ve really only had breakfast in there when visiting, so I really can’t give a bbq review, but I hear it’s great. There’s also Bob’s on 115, right off of I40. The founder of that was my elementary school Principal. Again, breakfast is amazing, and I’ve heard the bbq is also.

Seth, thank you, now I can see all the pretty pictures of Lakewood Beach. What is that building with the 2 floors of pretty white balcony?

Back