Where to take temp of boston butt??

TomSanderson

Hi guys!

My friend is smoking an 8lb Boston Butt on his WSM, and is at about the 7 hour mark. He's getting a bunch of different temp readings and doesn't know which to trust. He's using a Maverick 732 to take the temp. When he puts the temp probe in from above, straight down in the middle of the butt, he's getting 185. However, if he puts it in from the side, horizontally, near the middle, he's getting only 169.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

Thanks!!

You want the probe to read muscle temp. If the probe is touching, or close to, the bone, it may read high. Also, if the probe tip is in a large deposit of fat, it may read either high or low. You will get ± 10 even if you are in muscle, so just average the readings. In any case, it's done when it probes tender, regardless of temperature.

Just make sure the tip goes to the center not touching the fat or bone. For pull pork I pull it off at 200 to 206 .

I always take readings at several places due the way the different muscles cook I want it all to be tender. I have often noticed a 10 degree variation
Mike

Back