Where to start?

Dave Bethke

TVWBB Fan
Dudes and Dudettes,
I would like to put together a neighborhood cook off.
I'm not sure where to start.
We have a pretty big hood with a park in the middle of it.
We have a neighborhood E news letter but I'm not sure how many subscribe to it.
I have never been to a competition before so I really don't have a clue how they work.
I looked up some of the rules online.
I guess I should start with the city to find out if we can use the park for the day.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dave

I'd hit some of the Barbecue sites and see if you can get in contact with a contest organizer. They can clue you in on what the city may or may not require. A neighborhood cook out at the club house will be enough to deal with but if you get the city involved you may get hit with things like health inspectors, fire prevention/protection, waste disposal and the like.

How serious do you want to get with this? Hosting a sanctioned event is the pinnacle of BBQ. However, lots of fun and BBQ at non-sanctioned cookoffs too.

You might want to start off with a simple, fun "grill" off. Perhaps hot-wings, hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken, etc.

You could really have a lot of fun with that if you don't look to get too serious to start off.

All food to be judged due in at Xpm. Ribs, cornbread, chicken, slaw, ice cream, whatever.... Just a bunch of comfort food.

Man, imagine the kids as judges!
icon_biggrin.gif
LMAO!!! What good time! And it could be put together quickly.

If you want to get more formal, just figure on more planning.

Thanks guys,
I'm not trying to get to serious with this, at least not at first.
I'm trying to get some realtors to help out(not like they are busy)
I need to get the word out about it, and decide on the categories of food.
We have a good local butcher shop that I need to ask for some help with prizes.
Could be a lot of fun or...

Any encouragement is appreciated,

Dave

Back