Where to even start on a DIY HeaterMeter?

JamieLamb

TVWBB Member
I have been considering an IQ120, but I like building my own stuff and am a tinkerer by nature. I have built two home made barrel smokers and prefer them over my WSM. Just something about building something myself I guess. I am interested in learning how to build my own HeaterMeter, but looking at the forum and the zillion topics is just eye-crossing. So much lingo and terminology that I am completely unfamiliar with. Can anyone please share me a link or two on how to even begin?

Thanks in advance.

Start with the HM Hardware sticky post at the top of the forum. There are links to HM kits Bryan is selling, with or without the thermocouple pit probe as to your preference. The HM in general isnt that hard to build, just take your time and pay attention to the location and orientation of the parts when you install them, and soldering isn't that hard to learn even if you've never done it before.... Once you have the board soldered up if you can't figure out how to get the software loaded and hardware configured forum members will help get you going...

I agree with everything above with the addition of making sure to read the silkscreen on the board you get. Some of the hardware walkthrough's don't match up to the kits that are shipped out of the HM store, but the screens match the components perfectly. I used the walkthroughs as a guide and made sure to pay attention to the board itself as well as the sheet printout that came with my kits. If you get stuck the people on the forum are wicked friendly and helpful.

I second on buying the stuff from the HM store. I just finished a HM, the only previous experience I had soldering was with copper pipes for plumbing work around the house. I also had a magnifying glass stand which help me out a lot.

Some good tips here. I just built one and it worked perfectly. Use a decent soldering iron or station - and don't practice your first soldering on this board. Go get some breadboard and wire or a small electronics kit at Radio Shack and practice on that. Some of the solder pads on the HM board are small and too much heat for too long can lift the pad off of the board. Watch also for solder bridges - too much solder bridging onto adjacent pads that are not intended to be connected. It's simple enough to do it right, just practice first.

As others have mentioned - pay very close attention to the orientation of polarized parts to assure you don't mount them backwards. A magnifying glass is a definite help.

One thing I wished I had done - take a reasonably close picture of both sides of the board. At one point I wanted to check the orientation of a part but the silkscreening was covered by the installed part. Github does have one graphic of the board but its a bit hard to read; a picture would have made it easier.

Good luck, you'll enjoy this project!

Back