Where to buy brisket and butt in Saint Louis

Dan Kuhn

TVWBB Member
To any of my fellow Saint Louis residents - where is the best place to purchase brisket and butt? I usually use Kenricks for almost all of my meat purchases but was curious if there are any more economical places to purchase this stuff?

I like Costco for most of my meat needs. They have nice big chuck roasts which are great for smoking and pulling. I have bought some small flat portions of brisket there too. Quality is never a problem either.

All of my ribs are from Costco... I get the 3-packs of babybacks. Membranes are removed prior to sale. Nice, cheap, and very meaty.

I always get the butts from Schnucks. They usually have fair prices (often 99 cents a pound) and I do the rest of my shopping there.

All that said.... Kenricks is amazing and a lot of fun. Their service is second to none. The bakery across the street has Bosnian white bread which is great with everything.

Dan, I get all my briskets at Walmart or Sams. The butts ,I agree with Ernie, when Schnucks has them on sale for$.99/lb stock up. Used the last of my butts from the freezer about a month ago. Waiting for that next sale
icon_wink.gif

If Schnucks has them on sale I'll get my butts there. Otherwise it's Sam's or Restaurant Depot. Never been to Costco.
Kenricks is a great place and the folks there are awesome, but I don't think I'd ever buy any meat there. Too darn expensive! I used to deliver sauce to them and always tried to get there around lunchtime. Their lunch kicks butt!

I get my meat from Baumann's Fine Meats at the corner of Brentwood and Manchester. They're not the cheapest, but their cuts are great and they will trim it any way you like it. Great people, too. Plus, they usually have 6 or 8 oz bacon-wrapped filets at $6 - $8. I can't recommend this place enough.

Scnucks for Butts when on sale and Sams for briskets. I just picked up a 10 pound brisket today at Sams and I going to smoke it Sunday while watching football.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Dan,

I would recommend Costco for butts, but also watch the prices at Schnucks, b/c when they have sales, they are cheap. I don't like the briskets from my Costco much, b/c they are very thin and small and they do not sell whole briskets.

As T Ring said, Baumann's Fine Meat in Brentwood is very good, so is LeGrand Market on Donovan near Ted Drewes. Lately I have been going to Matekers Meat near Tesson Ferry and S Lindbergh. All these places have very knowledgeable and friendly butchers. Never been to Sam's but I'd imagine they have good prices also.

Good luck

Hey paul ... we just went to Sam's and picked up a case of butts 77 lbs @ $1.32 lb, and a case of angus packers 80 lbs @ $2.07 lb. About 35 cents a pound higher than last month. Butts look great but the briskets will need some trimming for sure. Hope you're staying warm brother!

Rick,

Do you have to call ahead to buy by the case from Sams? What Sams do you use?

And maybe this is a dumb question but how long do butts or brisket keep well frozen?

Hi Dan. Every once in a while we will have to call around for the briskets. Usually one of them will have some though. Butts are rarely a problem. First choice is Sam's in St Charles, then Ferguson(?) off of 270, lastly the one in O'Fallon, IL. The wife works in Earth City so the first two are basically on the way home. The last one is near the St Clair Square shopping center so the girls have no problem making that trip!
Your butts and briskets will keep almost forever in the original cryopac. You'll have plenty of time to cook them
icon_smile.gif

BTW: Those were the case prices I quoted. Individual butts/briskets are a bit more expensive.

Rick, thanks for the heads up. I'm waiting for Schnucks to have their sale on butts then I stock up. My friend is the butcher over there and always puts aside some 10 pounders for me. I don't cook that much brisket but I try to wait til Wally World misses an expiration date and I get them to mark it way down. if I'm really in a pinch I'll buy one at Sams. Hope you're doing well.

hey paul,

if you remember, can you post to this thread when you know schnucks' butts are on sale pretty please?

Dan, the Schnucks ad comes out every Monday in the mail. Living in StL, you should get it. Plus paul is in Indiana. Just because butts are on sale at his local Schnucks doesn't necessarily mean they'll be on sale here. Most likely, but not positively.

costco in the pacific northwest doesn't carry whole packer briskets. In fact, they only carry brisket flats a few months out of the year. Sams club and "Cash-n-Carry" are the best places up and over here.

Hey Dan ... ask, and you shall receive! Schnuck's whole pork butts 99 cents a lb. Now through Sun, Jan 30th. Stock up boys!!!

You're welcome Dan! Here's another tip: If you buy in multiples of two you can ask the butcher to grab you the cryovac packs fresh from the case in the back. They come two per pac, vac-sealed and ready for cooking or freezing. I usually buy 3-4 of them.

Rick, I've bought them like that in the past but since I usually cook my butts frozen its a real pain in the "butt" to separate them when time to cook . I've put them in frozen together and waited til the heat in the smoker made them soft enough to pull apart. So now I have my buddy get me the biggest two packs he can find and he puts them in separate packs for me. It's nice having a friend that's a butcher
icon_wink.gif
. I give him some of the finished product. Keeps him happy. I'm picking up four big ones tomorrow. I'm restocking my freezer. Never can have enough p.b in reserve
icon_biggrin.gif

Back