Where to buy brisket and butt in Saint Louis

That's cool paul! My butchers here are okay, just depends on who you get. One perk is, I am good friends with the manager!
icon_smile.gif

I still haven't wrapped my mind around the whole cooking frozen butt thing. You do it on purpose, correct? I can see if you're put in that situation because of timing, but why else would you do it? Not that it's wrong, just different. Maybe I need to find that thread where you explained it once before.

I'm sure I put it here somewhere ...

Walmart for whole brisket - $1.98/lb and Schnucks or Shop and Save for butts when they are on sale for $.99 like this week.

If you join the St. Louis BBQ Society you get access to Restaurant Depot off Manchester near Hampton. Lots of cool stuff in there. The walk in meat cooler is worth the trip even if you don't buy anything.

Rick, for one it's easier than having to wait for it to defrost in the fridge. I can still put mustard on it and rub it down with rub like a thawed butt. Two, I think I get much better color in the meat because it stays in the smoke ring temp area much longer. I've been doing this for years with seemingly good results.I've done brisket this way also. I prefer though to defrost brisket so that I can trim. Hard to trim a frozen piece of beef unless I get my chain saw out
icon_biggrin.gif

Definitely pays to have a butcher as a friend. Scored 2 butts at 11 1/2 lbs and 2 a little over 10. GOOD EATS!!!!

Back