Where is the wood?

James, not quite the same place, but pretty close. I work at Tacoma Engineers at the corner of Edinburgh & Speedvale. Do you know if there are any good butchers in Guelph? Lately I have been going to Dipietro's in Cambridge, but would like to find something closer.

Originally posted by Chris L.:
James, not quite the same place, but pretty close. I work at Tacoma Engineers at the corner of Edinburgh & Speedvale. Do you know if there are any good butchers in Guelph? Lately I have been going to Dipietro's in Cambridge, but would like to find something closer.

I always go to a place called "The Market" on yorkshire street. It's a small butcher shop husband and wife team. The guys name is Tim he is very helpfull and patient with all my questions and I have always been thoroughly satisfied with my purchases from him. If you want brisket or pork butt you should probably call and order it in advance. I just put my name down for a brisket last weekend and he said it would be about 2 weeks.

I'm sure you could buy stuff on sale at Zeher's or Food Basics cheaper at times but who knows how fresh and what quality it is. His pork loin roast with the bone in is outstanding on the Kettle or WSM.

By the way if you get a brisket tell him to leave a 1/8 to1/4 inch fat cap on it or he will end up triming it up a little too lean for a WSM cook.

good luck and good eats

Cookin in Canada

Thanks James! I didn't know you could get brisket around here. How much do you pay for a brisket? I like to stay away from the grocery stores for the same reasons as you...besides their ribs are "seasoned"...although I did pick some up at Zehr's the other week when they were half price, couldn't really tasted the difference to be honest.

By the way, I am picking up a load of wood from Steve @ Northern Hardwood today.

Thanks again!

Originally posted by Chris L.:
Thanks James! I didn't know you could get brisket around here. How much do you pay for a brisket? I like to stay away from the grocery stores for the same reasons as you...besides their ribs are "seasoned"...although I did pick some up at Zehr's the other week when they were half price, couldn't really tasted the difference to be honest.

I think the brisket was about $5.00 a pound, pork butt was $3.00 a pound, the pork loin was about $8.00 a kg I believe, chicken breast bone in was $3.00 a pound he also has awsome steaks.

By the way, I am picking up a load of wood from Steve @ Northern Hardwood today.

Thanks again!

James, FYI I found a good butcher just coming into Kitchener from Guelph right on Victoria/7. It's called Kitchener's Farmer's Market. I picked up a 11 pound whole, untrimmed brisket for $3.69 a pound and a 8 pound bone-in pork butt for $3 a pound. They usually have them in stock, but better to call ahead. Their spare ribs are pretty good too.

Funny, I picked up that wood last week & then on the weekend my girlfriend & I headed up to her parents trailor for the long weekend. We're driving along and drive right past an apple orchard where they've cut down about 20 trees and they're just laying there. Goldmine! Unfortunately I had packed car so I only grabbed a few branches, but enough for a while.

Chris

Back