Where is the wood?

Colin B.

TVWBB Member
Ok, I'm going to start by saying that I feel like a complete idiot asking were you get your wood but I am. I live in northern Canada and am surrounded by nothing but forest, unfortunatly its all soft wood. I'm wondering if anyone has a good source on hardwoods in Canada. As well I would like to get my hands on some natural charcol, all I can find here is Kingsford. Has anyone had good results with Kingsford or does it have to much other crap in it??

From my visits to Alaska (if you're in BC, I'd assume it would be similar) don't you have any Alder around? I can tell you it is a great wood to smoke with...it does more than just salmon.

We have Alder but I didn't think that its light flavour would hold up to a but or brisket.

What are your experiences with it??

Colin,

I've never used Alder in the WSM. However, I have had a lot of ECB briskets that were smoked over Alder...and they are excellent! It's a great wood! Maybe it's just me, but I have a real hard time telling the taste difference between woods anyway, other than when someone uses mesquite. I would at least try Alder with butts etc. before you buy wood...

I have had great luck with Kingsford. I know some people say they have run into problems with foreign materials, but I have actually run into that more with my lump charcoal. I have had some good size rocks in the last couple bags?
I use Alder quite a bit and really enjoy it, it is mild, but still gives good smoke flavor. I buy my wood at a local shop, its not cheap I guess but convenient (about $6.00 for a dozen or so baseball size chunks. They have a big selection of fruitwoods. There is this spot for Guava Wood , 10 pound box delivered from Hawaii for $15.00, that does not seem to bad? I have yet to use mine yet, but some people swear by these pellets, which you can also mail order and get a wide variety of wood flavors. Good luck

Colin, I feel your pain as I can get over here in wood chunks is hickory & mesquite. You should be able to get those if you have a Rona near you. Also, Canadian Tire sells some of the BBQers Delight pellets, you should try sugar maple, if they have them.

As for charcoal, I get Maple Leaf briquettes or lump at Rona, I find it burns longer & hotter than Kingsford and from what I hear there aren't the additives that are in Kingsford. I've used Kingsford and it works fine though.

My guess is that the WSM was 'designed for' use with briquettes as that is the most prolific barbecue fuel available for those not using gas. I know that plenty teams in the Northeast US use briquettes with very good results. I think you are underrating the potential of briquettes (and Kingsford).

I'm not against using Kingsford, I was just hopeing (and wondering) if there was something better then typical briquettes.

I'm going to go to the back yard and drop a few alder trees and see what I can do with them.

Hey Colin, try some paper birch (bark removed) for local smoke wood, try also your local Rona for Maple Leaf brand briquettes or lump. Mine in Calgary also sells sugar maple chunks on the cheap.

I really love Maple Leaf Lump.

those pellet guys don't ship to Canada
icon_frown.gif

Collin I'm not exactly sure where Prince George is in B.C. but don't they grow a large amount of apples there(B.C.) somewhere? If there is an orchard close by ask for some of the cuttings they take from the trees or maybe they have a tree they cut down. Apple wood makes for great BBQ. Also you can get oak at any lumber yard and it is a great smoking wood as well. Maybe you can get scrap pieces from a furniture maker, carpenter or something like that. I'm sure if you put your mind to it you will have several kinds of wood in no time. Good Luck
Smokin in Canada!!!
(I've heard they smoke some real interesting stuff in B.C.)

James, we are very close. I am from Kitchener-Waterloo! I have heard mixed opinions about using wood from a lumber yard. How does it work for you? There is a specialty lumber store right near my work (Guelph) and they apparently have every hardword under the sun, except it is kiln dried.

Originally posted by Chris L.:
James, we are very close. I am from Kitchener-Waterloo! I have heard mixed opinions about using wood from a lumber yard. How does it work for you? There is a specialty lumber store right near my work (Guelph) and they apparently have every hardword under the sun, except it is kiln dried.

Hi neighbour.I actually work in Guelph myself.

Let me start by saying I am NO expert but I can't see why lumber cut-offs would be a problem as long as they haven't been treated with anything. To the best of my knowledge most lumber isn't treated and the only difference would be the lack of bark. From reading on this site I have found that some people actually believe bark may create some bad flavour.

This past weekend I actually bought some wood for barbecuing from a guy who sells firewood. I got a mixture of red and white oak, black cherry, hickory, and sugar maple. He also told me that he gets mesquite from time to time as well. It was all in nice size chunks that I just split up a bit with a hatchet. I did my whole cook on my new ranch kettle with only this wood(no charcoal) and everyone seemed to like it alot, as there were no leftovers. I paid $40.00 for about half a pickup truck full.

I would post his number but I'm not sure if that is acceptable here, so look in the Guelph yellow pages under Northern Hardwood.

James, small world!

I would think that the only problem with kiln dried wood would be the moisture content resulting in quicker burning which might only mean having to use more wood.

I will have to check out that firewood supplier. It would be great to get my hands on something besides hickory. Thanks!

Originally posted by Chris L.:
James, small world!

I would think that the only problem with kiln dried wood would be the moisture content resulting in quicker burning which might only mean having to use more wood.

I will have to check out that firewood supplier. It would be great to get my hands on something besides hickory. Thanks!

If it is too dry soak it in water.

Yes it is a small world, we may actually work at the same place. I am a machinist at Blount. You?

Back